Insurance Clarification..

D

davepinch

On the BCA site it explains this for the 2006 PL cover:

“Additionally, there is now no distinction between cave diving and other types of caving in the policy - divers will have member to member cover and their contributions will be the same as for any other active cavers.”

I am not a member of the CDG, as much as I would like to be. Although I am qualified to cave dive, in fact I have been trained in this country and all of my cave diving has been in this country and all of it has been without insurance, simply because you have to be a CDG member to get BCA cover.. It seems this has now changed.

I am in full support of caving insurance and I personally think it will improve access to sites, if you were a landowner you could certainly see things from their side.

I know may cave divers who practice this activity outside of the CDG, some have aspirations to join the group others just want to cave and dive and enjoy it, if the insurers are now extending the policy to cover non-CDG members then I believe that it is a good thing that they can obtain insurance.

I know this topic has been talked to death on some sites and some people don't agree with the insurance scheme but I wanted run this by everyone as I'm sure there are others reading this forum that, like me, cave and dive and would make use of this information.

Best to all

Dave

D

darkplaces

Insurence cause's problems for access as once the land owners have been convinced wrongly they are liable a gate has to be installed and access controlled blah blah.

If landowners were given correct legal advise, people would not need insurence, gates would not be needed.

Its a situation born out of a myth very hard to reverse. Sadly the south suffers the most from this virus.

I wonder if it will take 6 months for insurence cards to be issued again.

D

davepinch

Great…. I didn't really write this so you could have a whinge about the status of gates and access...

I just wanted to let other divers know, who weren't members of the CDG, that they could be insured for their activities.

Cheers

Dave

M

Mine Explorer

c**tplaces said:
...I wonder if it will take 6 months for insurence cards to be issued again.

Nope - new cards were sent out with the renewal notice to clubs. As soon as I handed over my money, I was handed the new card for 2006. I believe cards unpaid for by a certain date should be returned to BCA.

All in all, it looks as if they've got their act together this year :)

graham

davepinch said:
Great…. I didn't really write this so you could have a whinge about the status of gates and access...

I just wanted to let other divers know, who weren't members of the CDG, that they could be insured for their activities.

Cheers

Dave

In think it wise that you actually check with BCA that this is the case & it's not just that the rate for CDG members is now the same as for us poor non-swimmers.

As far as Darkplaces usual rant is concerned; I hold keys for a cave on council owned land next to a large housing estate. I would love to see a copy of the "correct legal advice" that would persuade them to dispense with a gate to that site, ;)

Duncan Price

davepinch said:
On the BCA site it explains this for the 2006 PL cover:

“Additionally, there is now no distinction between cave diving and other types of caving in the policy - divers will have member to member cover and their contributions will be the same as for any other active cavers.”

Member to member cover was not included in last years cover for cave divers. The CDG made a case for this and incidentally had cover for its members reduced to the same premium as non-cave divers.

As Graham says, I don't think that this means that general BCA cover automatically covers all cavers for cave diving.

BTW the next meeting of the Welsh Section CDG is at 8 pm on Friday Jan 27th at the Rock & Fountain. I will be there if you wish to discuss this face to face.

D

davepinch

Thanks All,

Member to member cover was not included in last years cover for cave divers. The CDG made a case for this and incidentally had cover for its members reduced to the same premium as non-cave divers.

As Graham says, I don't think that this means that general BCA cover automatically covers all cavers for cave diving.

BTW the next meeting of the Welsh Section CDG is at 8 pm on Friday Jan 27th at the Rock & Fountain. I will be there if you wish to discuss this face to face.

I have looked into it a bit more and I thought this was the case. It seems an extension the current policy as Duncan has said. Thanks for the clarification.

As for the meeting... you'll only pick on me....

Regards

Dave

E

emgee

Mine Explorer said:
c**tplaces said:
...I wonder if it will take 6 months for insurence cards to be issued again.

Nope - new cards were sent out with the renewal notice to clubs. As soon as I handed over my money, I was handed the new card for 2006. I believe cards unpaid for by a certain date should be returned to BCA.

All in all, it looks as if they've got their act together this year :)

You got stitched up managed to get mine and my girlfriends without handing over a penny.

Bastard treasurer caught me on the way out though :)