The china shop

Simon Beck

Howdy!
Have just recently read Martin Farrs 'The darkness beckons' one of the most informative and interesting books i've ever read. The one article which captivated me the most was the china shop in Boreham cave, the photo's of the china shop were truly aweinspiring, a delicate and fragile world of calcite straws. This cave lies about 20 mins drive from my house(just up the valley at Arncliffe) and the other night i had a wander up there by myself, with the intention of going as far as the canal. On arrival at the cave i noticed the farmer(landowner) had built a wall within the entrance and a fixed a hinged(padlocked) gate, it gave the cave a rather eerie ambience, as if a caged beast roamed beyond, but just as i was about to head back to the car(it been dark already, wasn't using carbide at that time incase i was spotted) i noticed the bars(on the gate) had been spread apart probably with a car jack and there looked to be just enough room for me to sqeeze through(had to remove helmet and generator). So after a considerable amount of slivering found myself on the other side,looking a damn sight more bedraggeled considering the short distance i'd come. The initial stage is mainly all stooping passage for a couple a hundred feet then the canal is reached, which looked delightfull and very inviting, but decided not to bother going any further the canal ended at the sump after a short distance, so didn't seem much point in getting soaked(had a few rollies, observed my surroundings then deedie'd on out). The guide book mentions a number of long sumps with some dry passage inbetween then a 50 foot climb up a flowstone damn to the china shop.The main reason for this thread is, was wondering if anyone's had any involvement with this particular cave, or maybe even dived here?. Hope to hear from someone! Happy days!

bubba

Administrator
The Darkness Beckons is a great book, though I think it put me off diving for ever :LOL:

Isn't it out of print now? Shame...

The book inspired me to have a go, but I didn't have an aptitude for diving. I don't regret it, saw some places I would not have seen otherwise, though not the China Shop. I'll always be grateful to members of the Southern Section of the CDG for their patience with me.

dunc

Wouldn't mind having a go just to see what it was like but I have a feeling it wouldn't be for me... :?

So no, not had anything to do with Boreham - shame :( , would love to see the China Shop, but I think I'll have to make do with pictures!!!

P

Pinch

The China Shop is cool... I have never visited it myself but the pictures I have seen of it are quality:

http://www.cavedivinggroup.org.uk/images/Photos/CW/pages/Boreham_jpg.html

http://www.action-photo.u-net.com/boreham.jpg

One of my diving aspirations to get there... one day !

Safe Caving / Diving

Pinch