Summit visible from Keswick

Roger W

It's nothing to do with caving - but I have been trying to identify a summit visible from the window of a flat we have stayed at in Keswick for a couple of times.  The skyline looking south is rather broken up by a collection of roofs and chimneys, but this fell stands out clearly at about 5 degrees due east of south.

Anybody know what it is?

Attachments

• DSCF3586VS.jpg
    DSCF3586VS.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 403

mikem

Walla crag fits the described position (if it was Castle crag then it has Millican Dalton's cave, but that's much further from town).

Mike

Roger W

We were staying in Hewetson Court, just by the Co-op, and I thought that Walla Crag would have been more to the east, somewhere in line with St John's church spire (just visible at far left from our window).  Here's another shot, with the fell in question circled in red.  Are you still agreed on Walla Crag?

Attachments

• DSCF3568RSM.jpg
    DSCF3568RSM.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 125

martinr

tony from suffolk said:
No Roger, pretty certain it's Castle Head.

Pretty sure it's something way down into Borrowdale (edit: but prob not Castle Crag as I don't think that would stand clear of the hills behind when viewed from Keswick?) . Compare it to this image, I'd say it is something on the far horizon

Ridgeway,dsc00051.jpg

Roger W

Here's another, clearer shot from 2016.  Taken using my Fuji S4080 at full telephoto (30x zoom).  As Martin says, it's right on the skyline - nothing behind it.  Castle Head at 162 metres should be much closer and have Bleaberry Fell (590 metres) behind it.  Castle Crag is right down in the Jaws of Borrowdale and shouldn't appear on the skyline at all from Keswick.

Attachments

• DSCF2604S.jpg
    DSCF2604S.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 118

tony from suffolk

Mmm. Intriguing! Maybe Ether Knott, although that maybe rather more round to the south. I'm back there next week - I'll have a look.

Roger W

tony from suffolk said:
Mmm. Intriguing! Maybe Ether Knott, although that maybe rather more round to the south. I'm back there next week - I'll have a look.

Take some binoculars, Tony.  It's only a pimple on the horizon to the naked eye!

tony from suffolk

I guess the difficulty will be trying to get the altitude for the same line of sight. I doubt if it's visible from the Co-Op at ground level. Our place is more towards the lake.

Leo

I think Tony was right to suggest Ether Knott. In Rodger's second photo you can also see Glaramara to the right and Great End (just). These two peaks are better seen in martinr's photo which also shows Castle Crag lower down just beyond the rooftops.

Alexander