DistoX310 conversion

andywebman

We are thinking of purchasing a Disto X310 with a view to converting it to a Disto X. I have spoken to Benfool and he no longer has the parts to do this (only the anon serous batteries). Any idea where else I can get this done.

Benfool

As a bit of context regarding this, to make the replies more useful.....

Beat Heeb, the guy that makes the replacement boards for the Distox2, has sold out. At the minute he's unsure if he'll be able to make more - I think because he's struggling to source certain parts and because the x310 is being discontinued, its not worth redeveloping the board with replacement parts. There is nobody else making these boards, he was the only source.

Hopefully somebody has a spare board lying about that Andy can buy, but as they're ?180 I'm not optimistic. If another board is found, I'm more than happy to do the work to put it together and as Andy said, I have batteries available.

B

andywebman

Thanks for your update. it might help and save other replies. I hope someone can help. Although the 310 has been discontinued they are still for sale on Leica's site and second hands available on eBay etc

Benfool

I suspect the D810 will become to new defaco tool for cave surveying. Its more expensive than the X310 (with the Distox2 conversion), but does include Bluetooth and a compass/clino and it has a fancy screen.

All it needs is somebody to write some drivers for Pocket Topo/Topodroid and we're good to go.

B

andywebman

No mention in the Leica specs of a compass on the D810, only inclination for working out horizontal length

Benfool

D810 not D510.

https://www.laser-measure.co.uk/leica-disto/leica-disto-d810-touch.html

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    249.9 KB · Views: 265

ILT

I know bugger all about cave surveying and only slightly more about computers...however, if there is someone that does know about such things and needs someone to beta test use with a D810* then I have one of those in the collection....it does feature a 'compass'.

* is the D810 still in production or are Leica just getting rid of old stock? It's a relatively old model that was replaced by the D910 and no longer has firmware updates.

Fishes

I've not used this piece of kit but from what I have read it will export data directly into dxf. format which can be used by most standard CAD software to create surveys/3D models. It might be possible to use it for surveys without any modification.

ILT

I don't use the bluetooth but as far as I rememember the D810 sends strings of text or strings of numbers for each measurement.

External software would be responsible for conversion to drawing exchange format.