Cabin shaft minera (worlds end ) ucet trip

moorebooks

It worked for me.

I haven't been in Cabin Shaft for a long time and was really looking forward to doing an armchair visit . I have to say Tony you were the lucky one not being able to download it. Its amateurish to say the least , the sound track is horrible. A shame because it could have been an interesting  as there have been collapses in the intervening years

Mike

TLH

moorebooks said:
It worked for me.

I haven't been in Cabin Shaft for a long time and was really looking forward to doing an armchair visit . I have to say Tony you were the lucky one not being able to download it. Its amateurish to say the least , the sound track is horrible. A shame because it could have been an interesting  as there have been collapses in the intervening years

Mike

Bit harsh. Constructive criticism is mostly well received to videos like this, but I don't think it was a filming trip and so you probably shouldn't expect glorious lighting, acting and editing.

:LOL:

sinker

TLH said:
moorebooks said:
It worked for me.

Mike

...but I don't think it was a filming trip....

No but it was an SRT trip and the rigging wasn't the best  :LOL:

royfellows

Electrons as well!
Its like the nightmare I had about being underground with a lead acid Oldham.

SamT

Yeah - sorry to be critical, but what is going on with that rigging ?

Not in the habit of just slagging people off, but will call out poor rigging where I see it, more to hopefully educate people, spark a train of thought so they can review what they've done in the past and how they might re-do it next time, and think about rigging something safer and hopefully preventing an accident. 

Looks to me like all the angles involved are much greater than 45, with no central knot meaning a failure at one end will result a huge drop and perhaps total failure.  Long way to solo on a (poorly rigged) ladder as it looks like there was no shunt or clamp used to self line.

Props for the traditional abseil though!!

Cantclimbtom

What interests me is the split that the video highlights:  ladder <>  srt  "and never the twain shall meet"  ;)

sinker

SamT said:
Yeah - sorry to be critical, but what is going on with that rigging ?
?. think about rigging something safer and hopefully preventing an accident. 

Looks to me like all the angles involved are much greater than 45, with no central knot meaning a failure at one end will result a huge drop and perhaps total failure. 

Yes that summed up my thoughts really; the included angle was way too wide. I seriously could barely even calculate the tension in the rope at that angle, its just off the scale.
Bunny ears with included angle <60, or preferably 45 with a central knot would be bullet proof.
Lifeline on the electron would be a help; the lifeline could be backed up to a separate anchor too. Just run it out to a tree or something.

A nicely rigged electron is a thing of joy; a poorly rigged one is....tiring at best!

As above, not a criticism, just observations  (y)
Should see some of the tat that I've ab'd off  :LOL:
I'm the man who once got his beard tangled in a STOP so I have no place to criticise.
I kept the STOP and got rid of the beard.  :LOL:

moorebooks

TLH said:
moorebooks said:
It worked for me.

Mike

Bit harsh. Constructive criticism is mostly well received to videos like this, but I don't think it was a filming trip and so you probably shouldn't expect glorious lighting, acting and editing.

:LOL:

Except the title implied it was a video of a trip into Cabin shaft which I was hoping to see and not listen to a horrible soundtrack and amateurish filming. I can hardly criticise the rigging as I used to descend it on a ladders without a lifeline.

If you are going to promote a video make it worthwhile

Mike

SamT

moorebooks said:
Except the title implied it was a video of a trip into Cabin shaft which I was hoping to see and not listen to a horrible soundtrack and amateurish filming. I can hardly criticise the rigging as I used to descend it on a ladders without a lifeline.

If you are going to promote a video make it worthwhile

Bit harsh that.  Though helmet mounted footage does generally give me motion sickness so I tend not to watch it  :yucky:  :LOL:

Well to sum it up I am an amateur lol. It?s just a bit of fun. And I put music over the video because we basically talk waffle lol and who wants to hear that 😂
And I was life lined down the election and I didn?t do the rigging a guy from my club did and I trust him with my life.

Also it?s been rigged as a deviation. Mabe that wasn?t spotted in the video.
It?s not an easy one to rig as it?s in a hole with trees that sit higher. 

georgenorth

In all seriousness the rigging looks shocking. It?s hard to tell exactly what?s going on in the video, but what you can see isn?t good...

Attachments

• 40C0C314-9145-4C2D-972E-9423093D3CA9.png
    40C0C314-9145-4C2D-972E-9423093D3CA9.png
    3 MB · Views: 164

sinker

Stevekennedy said:
Have you been to this mine and rigged it yourself?
If so how would you do it differently or better ?  ;)

Hmmm.... a hole in the ground surrounded by trees...? Riggers's deam  :clap:

Fishes

Stevekennedy said:
The trees are only small ones and sit above the hole on obscure angles so I imagine it?s not as easy as it should be. ?

I've only seen this place on the video but the trees look more than big enough to rig off. I would probably have simply tied a rope around one of the larger trees (one that was actually used in this rigging) and run the rope over a tackle bag on the nicely rounded lip of the pitch. An etrier or short ladder at the lip might make things a bit easier but anyone reasonably competent in SRT should be able to handle it without one.

Simple is quite often the best solution.

I certainly wouldn't be happy using the rigging shown in the video.