Horrified By " Cavers of Facebook "

The Old Ruminator

More and more images of feckless lady models are appearing here. They are standing on the stal. One this week one had her boot on a stalagmite then she stood on a fine gour.. It seems that the cave is becoming secondary whilst the model is the prime subject no doubt so that the images can be splurged all over the internet to show what a brave girl she is. OK these images are from outside the UK . You would be shot if they were taken here. Well at least chucked out of your club. I have moaned about these shots but the so-called cave photographers just don't see it. Rather than face more conservation-related angst I have left the group. Sad to see what's happening to caving now that any person and his dog has a camera ( or ruddy phone ). Gone for a lie down ------

pwhole

I always try and cave with feckelsss lady models wherever possible - they're far more fun, though none of the ones I hang out with stand on stal as a rule. But is that Facebook still going?  I can just about remember when it was still Friends Reunited :halo:

andrewmcleod

On the plus side, these photos are getting a backlash from the wider caving community in that group that there are indeed too many photos like that (not showing proper conservation care). Although I would prefer if the group was more heavily moderated when such photos were published, hopefully at least some of the photographers will realise such things are not OK...

Tseralo

pwhole said:
I always try and cave with feckelsss lady models wherever possible - they're far more fun, though none of the ones I hang out with stand on stal as a rule. But is that Facebook still going?  I can just about remember when it was still Friends Reunited :halo:

Im not sure if i should be offended or not.

A_Northerner

I've also noticed many of those groups are populated by creepy old blokes sharing barely relevant pictures of models. Whenever I have called them out on it they usually respond by posting a picture of some bloke caving naked (though not a model shoot like the female ones) as though that "redresses the balance".

Whilst it's clear that the demographic of cavers in the UK and abroad is still dominated by older blokes, that isn't going to change any time soon if the majority of public caving Facebook groups (often the first port-of-call for young people interested in caving) are filled with men gawping at models. It just doesn't create a very welcoming environment!

Tseralo

A_Northerner said:
I've also noticed many of those groups are populated by creepy old blokes sharing barely relevant pictures of models. Whenever I have called them out on it they usually respond by posting a picture of some bloke caving naked (though not a model shoot like the female ones) as though that "redresses the balance".

Whilst it's clear that the demographic of cavers in the UK and abroad is still dominated by older blokes, that isn't going to change any time soon if the majority of public caving Facebook groups (often the first port-of-call for young people interested in caving) are filled with men gawping at models. It just doesn't create a very welcoming environment!

I've found that issue in most photography groups, mediocre photos of scantily clad women get loads of likes and comments but a well-composed landscape or sports image which requires much more effort gets bearly a comment.

Perhaps we should only allow diving photos to be posted, no one looks "sexy" in a drysuit.  :LOL:

2xw

Aye there's one of those groups where the admin randomly shares women's personal pictures if the pic is tangentially related to caving.

I wouldn't worry about young people, Facebook is for Boomers now. Give it 5 years it'll all be cartoons about hating your wife and endless minions quote memes.

Maybe there should be a caving tiktok

JoshW

if you comment on it, the fella will delete either your comment or your post. my go to comment is 'I wonder why you're sharing this...'

As 2xw says he'll scour young lasses personal pages for a profile pic to share to a massive fb group, bit weird.

pwhole

Tseralo said:
Im not sure if i should be offended or not.

Definitely not. But it does seem like I'm missing out on some fun on that facebook thing. I could publish my 'X-rated' drysuit shots. There's always a market, eventually... ;)

ZombieCake

Only brain dead morons use facebook anyway. Unless they have an account for so called 'research purposes'.

The Old Ruminator

Ooo. Most hurt I am Mr Z " a brain dead moron ". At least I have an excuse for that. Mr'O.Doc ( also BDM ) says that my neurological system has been wrecked by multiple bends over 25 years of deep diving. Parp !

PeteHall

ZombieCake said:
Only brain dead morons use facebook anyway.
That's most users of this forum then  :LOL:

I think the truth is that there are (and always have been) brain dead morons in the world. Facebook and other social media platforms just give them a podium to shout from, so now we can see all the brain dead morons in the world, where before we could only see those in our own neighbourhood. The thing is, it's easier to ignore the online morons than the ones wandering around your local area!  (y)