4 best chippies in Wales

Cantclimbtom

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/four-welsh-fish-chip-shops-20741789.amp

According to Wales online, the link above shows the 4 best siop chips. I still haven't tried the chippie advised in these forums, in Corwen, but now I must try Nemo as well... Lots of chippies on my backlog!

1) Penalunas - High St, Hirwaun, Aberdare
2) Joe's Fish Bar, Marine St, Cwm, Ebbw Vale
3) Nemo Fish and Chips, Station Rd, Betws-y-Coed
4) Hay Take Away, Broad St, Hay-on-Wye

Pitlamp

There used to be a right good chippie in Mold; we always used to head there en route back home on a Sunday evening after climbing weekends in north Wales. You got a gradely mound of chips and the fish were like whales. Anyone know if it's still there?

cavemanmike

Pitlamp said:
There used to be a right good chippie in Mold; we always used to head there en route back home on a Sunday evening after climbing weekends in north Wales. You got a gradely mound of chips and the fish were like whales. Anyone know if it's still there?
The big fish.
Still there.

mikem

They are " The four Welsh fish and chip shops near tourist hotpsots named among the UK's best" top 30... (also options on top 21 & 50)

Cantclimbtom

Sounds like there's some spin used to generate that list? Only 1 thing for it... We'll have to independently audit this list ourselves.

I propose

1) fish quality + additional points for a good batter
2) chips
3) portion sizes
4) Friendliness
5) any other merits

Happy to use Allports Llanberis, Nemo's Caernarfon or Parry's Plaice Corwen as comparisons

Pitlamp

What about price?

I remember when fish and chips was the working class staple, until Margaret Thatcher's government slapped VAT on it.

RobinGriffiths

Chippy Dre in Tremadoc is my current chippy of choice during Friday afternoon excursions. Also super crispy chips in the Pwllheli Allports.

Cantclimbtom

Pitlamp said:
What about price?

I remember when fish and chips was the working class staple, until Margaret Thatcher's government slapped VAT on it.

You're right, price is definitely a factor

Chips were such a staple I read (in Gordon Welchman's "The Hut 6 story")  that even during WW2 it was never rationed

Paul Marvin

sinker said:
Paul Marvin is the Fish & Chips expert. Where is he?

Ha Ha Im here bro . Glad your back buddy

Corwen is always a good choice , and the one where the polish lady gave you a portion depending on whether she thought you needed building up or not, gave you a portion whilst she cooked your order a Waunfawr I think it is but now closed . We last tried Blaenau Ffestiniog they were " quite" nice but bloomin expensive. fI your in the Matlock area our village chip shop is amazing at Wessington  (y)

Paul Marvin

RobinGriffiths said:
Chippy Dre in Tremadoc is my current chippy of choice during Friday afternoon excursions. Also super crispy chips in the Pwllheli Allports.

Those are noted when over there  ;)

Paul Marvin

Pitlamp said:
What about price?

Ha Ha we have had many governments since none have removed the VAT. However if its working class food it should be like dog food if its labeled " working dog " there is no VAT    :clap:

Paul Marvin

Pitlamp said:

We had some in Mold when we went to Hendre Mine and they we Ok Ish if it was the same

cavemanmike

Pitlamp said:
What about price?

Vat was a requirement of joining the EU  :mad:. So now we are out of it get rid.
Chippy in malltreath angelesey used to be excellent.
Simply fish and chips in Denbigh also good.
Maggies kitchen in Holywell also on the list

The_Bogieman

RobinGriffiths said:

Definitely, Robin! Allports  in Port has, in my opinion, lost the plot at the moment.

If anyone's passing thro Llangollen, Nemo's there is pretty good.

Cantclimbtom

I greatly enjoyed Nemo's in Porthmadog but last couple of time was end of Aug last year when it *RAINED* (floods, A5 landslip etc) so I was pretty wet and very hungry and nothing much else was open, that may have skewed my assessment. I should go back in more standardised conditions for it to be fair

Sounds like all the Nemo's chain are good since we have a recommendation here for Llangollen - and Betws is promoted in that article

Paul Marvin

Cantclimbtom said:
I greatly enjoyed Nemo's in Porthmadog but last couple of time was end of Aug last year when it *RAINED* (floods, A5 landslip etc) so I was pretty wet and very hungry and nothing much else was open, that may have skewed my assessment. I should go back in more standardised conditions for it to be fair

Sounds like all the Nemo's chain are good since we have a recommendation here for Llangollen - and Betws is promoted in that article

Its surprising how nice something can be if you are cold wet and really hungry, my grandad had a saying that " you will eat shit with sugar on it" , if you are hungry enough.    :yucky:

Paul Marvin

Cantclimbtom said:
He didn't run a burger van as a sideline did he?

Ha Ha bless him he is long gone now .

Just reminded me the last time a mate and myself called at a roadside burgere van for a coffee, it was a proper rough thing as the " lady" behind the counter said when we ordered our coffee " would you lads like some bread and butter pudding " ? we took on look at it on the counter and saw about 200 flies crawling on it  :cry:, we said " although it does look nice we are stuffed just had fish and chips "