Alum Pot- how was it named?

adamgeens

I had the pleasure of a first trip into Alum Pot today and back at a pub in the Peak a friend told me that the phrase 'Alum Pot' meant something very different to him. I was wondering if their could be a link (especially given the plan view of the cave...), and was interested to know how and when the cave got it's name.

Cheers,
Adam

dunc

Alum Pot is always a pleasure!

The name, it's been known as that for many years, but has previously been referred to as Alumn, Alun, Alan, Hellen, Helln (some of these names probably go back well over 100 years+). Maybe Hell distorted as caves/potholes were associated with the underworld in many years gone by, or maybe not?  :confused:

As for your friend, each to their own and all that!

adamgeens

Thanks Dunc and Mel

I did a quick internet search (and sometimes believe some of what I read on Wiki), but missed the interesting link at the bottom of the page. Looks like my friend's interesting theory about a practice he came across in Syria might just be an amusing coincidence!

Regards,

Adam

Pitlamp

bograt said:
In some dialects, a "lum" is a chimney, this gives us "A Chimney Pot"  :-[

That's interesting; in which case what's a "lumb"? There's a few in Derbyshire (e.g. Cressbrookdale) but also in northern England (e.g. Blea Pots Lumb near Kirkby Stephen in Cumbria). The ones I'm familiar with are all resurgences (permanent or temporary) and I always assumed "lumb" meant spring. Any ideas TJ?

dunc

How about the Welsh Llwm? From what I can gather it might mean bare, bleak, exposed - A Llwm Pot? a far fetched idea, perhaps.. however Pen y Ghent is nearby and that is sometimes considered Welsh (or partly so) in origin.

paul

dunc said:
How about the Welsh Llwm? From what I can gather it might mean bare, bleak, exposed - A Llwm Pot? a far fetched idea, perhaps.. however Pen y Ghent is nearby and that is sometimes considered Welsh (or partly so) in origin.

To be pendantic, Pen y Ghent is Cumbric rather than Welsh.

However, maybe there was a similar Cumbric word to Llwm?

adamgeens

So it appears then that my friend's experience (not first hand...) of prostitutes in Syria reinvigorating their professional equipment after a hard nights work by squatting over a smoking pot of Alum (known obviously as an Alum Pot) is just a coincidence. If in doubt google it, I did.

Slightly disappointing, particularly given the shape of the cave... ;)

Pitlamp

I always though the name was a corruption of the earlier "Heln" Pot, which originates from the Norse deity "Hel" who was in charge of the underworld. 

In the underwater cave at Malham "Hel's Bells" (an area of air chambers) was named in keeping with a Viking theme popular at the time, for reasons which are perhaps best told over a pint rather than spread all over the internet!