Hull pot Flooding

adamski555

Has any one seen for them selves the total flooding of Hull Pot? When the water level meets the fell level and makes a giant pool.
I have seen the pictures in the crown pub and 3 peaks cafe
I have been up there in wet weather but it has never been near full.
What sort of rain would case it torrential rain over a a sort period or heavy rain over say a 12 hour period
What amount in mm are we taking about 50 mm 80 100mm in a 12 hour period.
If any one has any pics they couldpost on this site that would be brilliant.

damian

adamski555 said:
What amount in mm are we taking about 50 mm 80 100mm in a 12 hour period.

Not seen Hull Pot as you describe except in photos. In general, thgouh, the following is definitely true:

In common with most flooding in caves, it depends on the season and the weather during the previous few weeks as to how much rain it takes to cause catastrophic flooding anywhere. If the land is completely water-logged, it doesn't take as much as run off is almost instant and total. If it's bone dry, run-off is also almost total at first and instant.

If, on the other hand, it's Summerand there's been a bit of rain on and off for a month, then it'll take much more rain to have the same impact on a cave, as the ground will absorb lots of it and the sun will get rid of a lot of this over the next few days through evaporation.

Pitlamp

Yes I've seen it, at about 2 a.m. many years ago; we walked up after the pubs kicked out in horrendous weather as we thoughht it would flood.  It did. Not only was it brim full it was also overflowing down the valley beyond about 10 metres wide.

I think this thread has cropped up before incidentally, as I seem to remember Scoff also describing his experiences. So if you have a search round on this site you'll probably get more info.

On the occasion when we were lucky enough to witness it there had been snow accumulating on the fells for a few days then the mercury rose in the thermometer and it dumped about 30 mm of rain on top of the snow and thus took it with it. In these circumstances several days' precipitation hits the caves all at once and underground is definitely not a good place to be in most cases.

knuckledragger

Hi Adamski, I too have trawled the internet looking for said photo. I have read accounts in old publications where people remember this amazing occurence. As a frequent walker of Pen-y-ghent (often when it too wet to go caving) I always carry on up to Hull Pot to see whats happening and even after days of torrential rain the pool has only just covered the floor.

Does anyone know if the photo is still on the wall at the Crown or the cafe? Could see a vist to the Crown involving a couple of pints,a packet of dry roasted nuts and my digital camera if so!  :beer:  

paul

knuckledragger said:
Does anyone know if the photo is still on the wall at the Crown or the cafe? Could see a vist to the Crown involving a couple of pints,a packet of dry roasted nuts and my digital camera if so!  :beer: 

Yes - it's still on the wall in Pen-y-Ghent cafe.

SamT

Only refs. I can find are

http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php/topic,2415.0.html

and

http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php/topic,3377.msg44637.html#msg44637

and Ive looked at all of Scoffs posts, yes all 13. and cant see any ref to hull flooding.
(by the way - anyone can look at a particular persons posts in the members section above, and 'view last posts of this member' )

Though I have to admit- I thought I could remember a thread on the matter that may even have included the photos in question being linked.

gus horsley

Saw Hull Pot with water up to about 10ft the from the top in the spring of 1963 when the big thaw was occurring.  More impressive was Douk Gill where coffee-coloured water was flowing out of beddings along the entire foot of the cliff. 

caverholic

SamT said:
Only refs. I can find are

http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php/topic,2415.0.html

and

http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php/topic,3377.msg44637.html#msg44637

and Ive looked at all of Scoffs posts, yes all 13. and cant see any ref to hull flooding.
(by the way - anyone can look at a particular persons posts in the members section above, and 'view last posts of this member' )

Though I have to admit- I thought I could remember a thread on the matter that may even have included the photos in question being linked.

Slightly of topic but is this you trying to be helpful Sam or are you just trying to cover up for the fact that your stalking people on the forum  ;)

Should I be scared :eek:

Pitlamp

Possibly the Hull Pot flooding thread was on the CDG website? I'm sure it's cropped up somewhere previously, say 6 - 12 months ago.

footleg

Tomorrow might be a good day to walk up there with a camera to see? Judging by the news reports of severe weather in the region anyway.

Speleodroid

Or even possibly sunday:

FORECAST FOR WEEKEND

Tonight:
A very windy night clear spells and scattered wintry showers, falling as snow with moderate accumulations possible over high ground. Feeling very cold perhaps with a local air frost. Minimum temperature 0 ?C.

Friday:
Largely cloudy with wintry showers, some prolonged and heavy. Snow mainly confined to hills initially, is expected to fall to low levels later. Feeling very cold with strong northerly winds. Maximum temperature 4 ?C.

Outlook for Saturday to Monday:
Conditions becoming drier on Saturday and milder with winds backing southwesterly. Heavy rain on Sunday, then drier for a time on Monday before further heavy rain and strong winds later.

There is an excellent photo in one of the old Craven PC records of Hull Pot in flood. It really does resemble a large puddle......Think it was taken by a guy called Steve Pickersgill, but can't quite remember.

SamT

So - which active streamway will there be a rescue from this sunday then.

Hopefully none .  (y)