Justifiable response?

cap n chris

If someone is caught in the act, wilfully damaging a cave (be it graffiti, scratching stal, breaking stal, harming a bat etc.) is it morally acceptable to:

a) crucify them
b) crucify them and cut them and rub salt into the wounds
c) crucify them and cut them and rub salt into the wounds and then piss on them
d) a, b & c and then set fire to them

Discuss.

Beggars belief...last night in Giants we decided to explore up the Upper Stream Passage having not visited before...
Squeezing along towards the sump pool I find myself face to face with the initials "RC" scratched into the rock surfce...now its not somewhere a casual passer by or chav would get to is it...so why would a caver do that?
Beyond me...
I'll go for "d" but would have prefered an option that involved electricity at some point!

E

emgee

cap 'n chris said:
If someone is caught in the act, wilfully damaging a cave (be it graffiti, scratching stal, breaking stal, harming a bat etc.) is it morally acceptable to:

a) crucify them
b) crucify them and cut them and rub salt into the wounds
c) crucify them and cut them and rub salt into the wounds and then piss on them
d) a, b & c and then set fire to them

Discuss.

Do you have someone in mind?

D

darkplaces

Can I have B then set them on fire, but you cant set them on fire inside the cave!

Some strange people about regarding wee. Also wee would actually help the wounds surly.

SO maybe its best to tie them up, do the slashing, add the salt, upside down hanging from an eco bolt and leave them for the zombies.

Hughie

That's all ok, but what does one do when, at the end of ones dig, running passage is found disappearing off into caverns measureless to man and possibly a sunless sea. But is unfortunately barred by a lump of stall. And there are no alternative routes available/creatable.
What does one do?

E

emgee

Hughie said:
That's all ok, but what does one do when, at the end of ones dig, running passage is found disappearing off into caverns measureless to man and possibly a sunless sea. But is unfortunately barred by a lump of stall. And there are no alternative routes available/creatable.
What does one do?

Stick a video camera down there and swing it around a bit till you find out that upstream is an impossibly unstable boulder choke and downstream it sumps.

Then forget the dream and move on to the next promising site.

AndyF

Hughie said:
What does one do?

That is a dilema that many have faced, and there isn't a simple answer. I think you have to assess the quality of what will be destroyed vs. the quality of the lead, eg draught, visible distance, water flow etc....

There is also the fact that if you don'r go for it, someone else very probably will...

gus horsley

AndyF said:
Hughie said:
What does one do?

That is a dilema that many have faced, and there isn't a simple answer. I think you have to assess the quality of what will be destroyed vs. the quality of the lead, eg draught, visible distance, water flow etc....

There is also the fact that if you don'r go for it, someone else very probably will...

Like a little-known cave in the Black Mountain called Ogof Dan-yr-Odin which had a superb stal grille that had been very carefully passed, only to find the crawl closed to an impentrable tube. This was pointed out in the guidebook. I went there to photograph the grille and it had gone. There were lots of broken bits lying around. I was not very happy at what appeared to be wanton vandalism. Crocodile clips on the nips springs to mind.

Roger W

I'm probably in the wrong place on the forum for this, but how far have robot or remote control cameras been used to explore such interesting but inaccessible spots in caves?

I saw an interesting programme on TV a while ago where a small remote-control camera-bearing robot was sent up a small square tunnel in an Egyptian pyramid. Just the job for getting past stal grilles or through very dodgy boulder chokes?

Or is it considered unsporting to send a robot camera through a squeeze you aren't prepared to force yourself through?

cap n chris

Roger W said:
how far have robot or remote control cameras been used to explore such interesting but inaccessible spots in caves?

"Robots" are on Mars! - but just sub-surface probes rather than Warmbac wearing androids doing SRT while swearing in binary.

paul

Roger W said:
I'm probably in the wrong place on the forum for this, but how far have robot or remote control cameras been used to explore such interesting but inaccessible spots in caves?

Various cavers (including those in my club) have used a "camera on a stick" to photograph possible ongoing passage where in order to see (maybe around a bend) would mean damage to stal in a dig.

I know of one example where we had a small passage bending around out of view but t have a look would mean damaging formations. We stuck the camera through on a stick and the resulting photos showed that it soon closed down and noted it on the survay so the formations are still intact.

W

wormster

I'm with DP on this one however I'd suggest that the hanging took place at the entrance of the cave concerned and a big sign errected with the legend on it "I'M A F******N CAVE VANDAL. KICK ME"

c**tplaces said:
SO maybe its best to tie them up, do the slashing, add the salt, upside down hanging from an eco bolt and leave them for the zombies.

T

Tree Monkey

Well done that man, i'll second you on that! :clap:

bubba

Administrator
Roger W said:
Or is it considered unsporting to send a robot camera through a squeeze you aren't prepared to force yourself through?

I'm sure I've read of old Derbyshire miners sending kids into tight passage to check out the potential.

SamT

Yeah - that was in Eyam Dale House cave. After some digging in there - Tom Proctor was the first person into a very narrow rift, only passable by squeezing along sideways (crabwalk stylee). However, in the floor were very small clog prints - that were clearly pointing forwards, i.e. - the child was small enough to walk down the rift facing forward - therefore very young.

I was musing about the final sump in Duce hole the other day.
It would be cool to get one of those little remote subs for sumps - just send it in - and have a snout about.
Looking at it the other day - it does look to get bigger.

Think I'll just stick johnny or JimL in instead  :LOL:

ian.p

i can asure you that the practice of using children to find out if that nasty bit of tight passage is realy the way on or not hasnt died out yet.