Book Review - POVIJEST PRO?IRIVANJA USKIHN PROLAZA U ?ILJAMA I JAMAMA (u svijetu

rhychydwr1

POVIJEST PRO?IRIVANJA USKIHN PROLAZA U ?ILJAMA I JAMAMA (u svijetu I Hrvatskoj) The history of enlarging the narrow cave passages (in Croatia and other countries) by Vlado Bo?i? 2016 20 pp many colour photos and cave surveys.  The practice of enlarging the narrow passages in caves and pits was first mentioned in the case of the Hezekiah's Tunnel below the city of Jerusalem in the year 700 BC. The next written evidence of this practice describes enlarging the channels of the Tufe di Nerone Cave near Naples in the period of antiquity using "the tools for rock crushing" the same in exploration of the Bretenwinner Cave in Bavaria in 1535. The first time explosive (gunpowder) was used for enlarging a cave and connecting it to another one was in 1653 in the basement of St Victoire Monastery in France. In 1775 the explosives used to explore beyond the siphon in the Peak Cavern in England. In 1866 it was used in the Abisso dei Morti Cave in Italy which ended with deaths of several explorers.  The first time this practice was used in Croatia was in 15th century in the Gvozdenka Cave near Rakovica. The most spectacular example of this practice in Croatia was achieved when the Kita Ga?e?ina Cave and Drazenova Puhaljka Cave were connected to form the longest cave system in in the country.  Mining techniques and dynamite were first used in Croatia by Gjuro Pilar in 1882 in the Zelezna Vrata Cave in Gorskikotar. The most difficult removal of an obstacle using the explosives was in 1979 in the Zeljeznicarski Kanal channel in the Veternica Cave.  The general problems concerning the practice of enlarging the narrow passages in caves and pits are described in the works of Maryan ?epe , Hrvoje Malinar, Sre?ko Bo?i?evi? and Sini?a Re?etar.  SB In Croatian.  Available from any good caving bookseller for ?5.00 post free.