Trip Report: Blevin's Gap

Amy

April 19, 2017

It has been a little over a month since I?ve been underground at all. It took a while for my shoulder to heal up, apparently ligament damage. Finally able to even wear a backpack without it hurting I started itching to get back caving. There is a small but pretty cave called Blevin?s Gap that may be covered up by construction projects starting this year, so Brandi, Tony, Brian and I decided to go see it one last time (and for Tony, his first time). We also wanted to document any wildlife.

Brandi by Amy  Hinkle, on Flickr

While I was in the UK last month I noticed my seat harness was rather worn on the leg loops, and luckily I have an AV Harness I picked up from Tony Seddon last August. So since this has a small vertical entrance pitch, I decided it was a great cave to set up my new system. Even frogging, my shoulder was not sore, so this is good news! I really should start bouncing Hoopers (our classic 90-foot free-hang beginner?s pit) weekly again.

Brian by Amy  Hinkle, on Flickr

We had a successful trip, and I finally managed to capture a photo of ?Blevin?, the pack rat who lives in the cave. I also found a pretty spider in a neat little web, and of course some Tennessee Cave Salamanders and Northern Slimeys. Finished out the evening with Mellow Mushroom pizza!

Blevin the Packrat by Amy  Hinkle, on Flickr

TN Cave Salamander2 by Amy  Hinkle, on Flickr

Spider Again by Amy  Hinkle, on Flickr

mrodoc

Never thought I would see Blevin's Gap Cave again. Remember it well, and the pack rat, and the salamander!