OFD

cap n chris

So, how was the trip? Glynn informed me that it wasn't as scary as this short legged person had expected, apart from a maypole bridge (and the bit we did before - the "Wall of Death").

I understand there was a gang from Wessex trying to beat you to it (by taking the woossie way?). Any chance of a write up (for the Journal or for this forum)?

Andy Sparrow

Saturday 12th March 2005

OFD 3

Andy S, Glynn, Ken and Steve (Ken’s nephew).

Stuart Marshall would have been there but his car broke down and had to be relayed back to Birmingham for the fifth time in 12 months! (a Ford Galaxy in case you are wondering). We met at SWCC just before 11am and changed (as it almost customary) alongside the Wessex who were also OFD 3 bound. A brisk walk up the hill with occasional snowy squalls saw us entering the cave at 11.40.

We made quick progress across the Big Chamber, mini-traverse, Bagpipe Chamber and to the ‘wall of death’. I chose this route because it is the most direct and also because the day had a general theme of big black holes and dodgy traverse lines. The ‘wall of death’ comprises a bold step across a wide rift about 30 feet deep, then a short scramble over a hump leading to a steep muddy descent down to a ledge which is traversed to safe ground. Beneath the ledge is a gaping hole of invisible depth where the passage clips the top of the Chasm, one of the larger passages of OFD 2. You can’t really get an angle to look down the drop from the traverse but seen from below it’s a very impressive 20 metres or more. We tried a new approach to rigging this obstacle by using a traverse line belayed on each side. This arrangement provides a degree of safety but still has the danger of shock-loads and difficult to retrieve suspensions over voids in the event of a fall.

I have to digress a bit here. I appreciate that SWCC don’t want bolts, traverse lines and fixed aids all over OFD. In most locations adequate natural belays seem to exist and there is some satisfaction in using these rather than the array of bolts that would doubtless exist if the system was in Yorkshire. I feel that the ‘wall of death’ is an exception to this as it seems to be impossible to protect satisfactorily using naturals alone. Now here’s another thing – there are already expansion bolts installed on this traverse but they are not fitted with hangers. Are these for rescue? And if so why is it acceptable to use installed bolts to deal with the consequences of an accident but not to prevent it in the first place?

Anyway…. On we went, along the traverse and sandy passages which lead to Bhowani Junction. It was here we met the Wessex who had taken the alternative route and proved conclusively that my more direct route wasn’t! It was rapid going to the next obstacle, the Crevasse, which is easy to rig and cross. A ladder pitch follows, into an impressive rotunda of a chamber. A bit further on is a huge aven with a rope dangling down from a hundred feet of inky blackness. One wonders what is up there. Shortly after this is an awkward climb where an assisted handline proved very useful to haul up those deficient in the leg department.

Thus it was we reached the start of the traverses. We rigged protection lines on the first and last sections and enjoyed the bits in between. Most of the route has really good ledges and the rift below, although very deep, is only a metre or so wide. Beyond the last traverse a rumble of water can be heard and a squeeze leads through into OFD 3. I really like the passage that follows. There are some superb formations down one wall before the canyon ends abruptly on the brink of a deep hole where the false floor has collapsed into the streamway below. The step around this gulf is easy and assisted by a well placed stalagmite. The passage descends to the maypole bridge which is carefully crossed to the continuation of the dry gallery. We reached the stream eventually but we were running out of time and called a halt, leaving the Wessex to plough on the extra half hour to Smiths Armoury.

We got back to the entrance at about 5.20pm without any major issues. Everyone enjoyed the trip and had a grand day out. We also learnt that the wall of death is not the quickest way and that no amount or rigging can easily make it safe.