Compass Cave Surveying Progrmme

rom82

Hi all,

Looking for any opinions on the American cave surveying programme called Compass. I know nothing about it, other than what I've read on their website, and know no one who uses it. I'm considering buying it as it is a complete package that looks like it would speed things up for me, as I want to minimise computer based survey to time.

Anyone got any experience of it and opinions?
Thanks in advance!

Leclused

Did you check the following website?  ;) You can download it and try it out.

www.fountainware.com/compass

In the past Compass  was free (if I'm not mistaking). In our club we still use compass for all our survey work.

rom82

Oh cheers, I didn't realise you could get a trial version of it. That's great, thanks! How do you find it, is it relatively straight forward to use (I'm pretty crappy with new computer programmes!)

Leclused

rom82 said:
Oh cheers, I didn't realise you could get a trial version of it. That's great, thanks! How do you find it, is it relatively straight forward to use (I'm pretty crappy with new computer programmes!)

It is pretty straight forward.

In the following blog article you can find some example of a complex cave system
http://scavalon.blogspot.com/search/label/Anialarra?m=0
Just download it an try it out

Subpopulus Hibernia

From what I can see, Compass doesn't actually make a finished drawing - you'll still have to export the data to Inkscape to make a map for presentation.

Leclused

Subpopulus Hibernia said:
From what I can see, Compass doesn't actually make a finished drawing - you'll still have to export the data to Inkscape to make a map for presentation.

That's true, you still need to draw your final map in one way or another.