Treasury Sump - Peak Cavern

Johnny

The dodgy hanger on the Speedwell side of Treasury has been replaced. A new spit drilled and a back-up hanger positioned.
It's a bit of a grovel to get into the water but the rest of the sump is clear.

Pitlamp

Well done - that hanger has been deteriorating for some time. It's been there about a quarter of a Century - as has the rope (which itself was an antique when it was resigned to being a sump haul line at the same time the bolt was installed). If anyone's got any replacement rope it might not hurt to change the line as well.

Johnny

The hanger is pinned to the notice board in the Chapel.

That rope does look ancient, Jim was telling me about a legend that says its been up the Eieger. It looked sound enough and we were a bit reluctant to remove a piece of cave diving history.
If you reckon it needs removing I have 50m of retired climbing rope that might do the job.

Pitlamp

One problem with that old rope in Treasury Sump is that it consists of several pieces of rope knotted together. If you are carrying a lot of gear through the sump for a caving project further upstream with only one hand free to hold the line it makes it awkward. A replacement rope makes a lot of sense, I reckon.

Pitlamp

Johnny - what's the water levels like in Peak and Speedwell at the moment. We had a dollop of rain in the Dales at the weekend; did the Peak get it too?

Johnny

Going in tomorrow evening so I will let you know.
It has rained but not much and the water was very low, so it probably did not have too much effect.
I have got a rope ready for Treasury.

Pitlamp

Ta. Looks like there might be some weather on the way tomorrow though according to the latest forecasts.

Johnny

The water was rising last night, 3/4 of the way up the 2nd step on the way in at 20:00 and lapping at the top of of that step on the way out at 22:40.

Speedwell stream was high with water lapping at the cylinder teather, there was also a lot of foam, Simon and I had a little foam party :LOL:

The rope through treasury was replaced while Jim & the Eldon lads sandbagged a large terrace into the sand/gravel slope on the Peak side.

That gravel and sand does nasty things to your regs :!:

Hi Johnny,

Which steps are you talking about? Am I being dense?
Do you mean the steps at the bottom of the Devils Staircase - if so then the stream was very high! Surely you'd be swimming through Five Arches.....

Pitlamp

Crikey Johnny, that is high. I assume Far Sump would have been flowing with that much water? Have you had much rain today (Thursday) and can you do a little crystal ball gazing and predict what it'll be like in Peak at the weekend? Thanks.

Just had a thought - are the "steps" the ones to the left of Goosehill Bridge looking downstream. I can't imagine Peak being as wet as the water coming up to the Devils Staircase. Two weeks ago you could duck through to Browns Chamber. It didn't rain that much did it?

Pitlamp - do I know you? Some of your posts seem to have a familiar accent to them......

Dan.

Pitlamp

Course you do Dan - but as I'm from deepest hill billy Lancashire I don't have any accent. It's everyone else that does!

I'm as intrigued as you to know which steps Johnny was referring to though. Johnny - conventionally people have often referred to the water level in the stream relative to the pipe on the left (stream right) just upstream of the road bridge at the bottom of the Peak Cavern gorge (i.e. the ceramic pipe partway up the wall forming the bank of the stream). When the water is just lapping into this pipe access into Peak through the low arch at the base of the Devil's Staircase is iffy. Did you notice this pipe the other night by any chance?

Tony told me last night that water levels in Peak are currently "normal winter levels".

Johnny

Blimey.

I meant, as Dan says, the steps by the bridge. It works in the same way as the pipe. :roll:

Pitlamp

Thanks - now I understand. So it's not excessively wet then. In fact with a possible overnight frost forecast it should be OK in Peak this weekend.

nickwilliams

danthecavingman said:
Pitlamp - do I know you? Some of your posts seem to have a familiar accent to them......

Dan.

'Bin thinking the same thing myself, Dan. Pitlamp, did you get post from me today by any chance?

Nick.

Pitlamp

Aye. (See email I sent direct this morning).

I was the one sitting in the corner of a certain sump when you made your debut cave dive. I just wish I was an artist and could paint the scene . . . .

Stick to sparks - you're really good at that. (tee hee!)