Smeltmill Beck

kay

Anyone been down Smeltmill Beck recently? What's the water levels likely to be like this weekend?

G

George North

It should be fine by the weekend. The water levels aren't that high at the moment, and the forecast is for a dry spell starting tomorrow. The duck isn't that bad at all - infact I'd say it was my favorite part of the cave! If it does chuck it down then you could always carry on to Knock Fell Caverns (IMHO a much finer caving trip anyway)

GN.

dunc

The duck isn't that bad at all - infact I'd say it was my favorite part of the cave! If it does chuck it down then you could always carry on to Knock Fell Caverns (IMHO a much finer caving trip anyway)
There's a duck? If its what I think it is then its nothing..
As for Knock Fell - yes its interesting, but a much longer walk!

G

George North

There's a duck?

I'd say the entrance is sufficiently wet to qualify as a duck. It's certainly more interesting than some other well known 'ducks' in the Dales. (Valley Entrance and Simpson's Pot for instance.) Anyway, I agree it's nothing worth worrying about!

As for Knock Fell - it's only a long walk if you don't know where it is :wink: (10mins otherwise).

langcliffe

It's certainly more interesting than some other well known 'ducks' in the Dales. (Valley Entrance and Simpson's Pot for instance.)

The Kingsdale duck has drained itself in the past 30 years. One used to get an ear wet (and that was without falling over the boulder on the far side!).

G

George North

The Kingsdale duck has drained itself in the past 30 years

Hmmm! Legend has it that it was dug out by a certain caving instructor in order that his clients (boy scouts, squaddies etc) didn't have to get a wet ear whilst passing through the duck!

dunc

Thats assuming you can get to the top of the hill.. First time I went there thats where we walked from too! But the last time I was there the gate part way up the road was padlocked - whats the script with it, is it always locked or only at certain times??

Rachel

Hmmm! Legend has it that it was dug out by a certain caving instructor in order that his clients (boy scouts, squaddies etc) didn't have to get a wet ear whilst passing through the duck!

Don't blame him! I've done the churns 8 times this week and next week I'm taking my own plank to put over the deep puddles so I can keep my knickers dry :wink:

And now I've mentioned knickers, this thread is bound to run and run...

kay

back to Smeltmill - Just got back. The culvert was completely dry, and water about 6 inches deep at the entrance. So water levels inside fine - didn't even have to tip my head sideways. Bloody cold, though! - really glad to have a neofleece. Really nice trip - very glad to have done it, and recommend it to everyone else.

And the flowers round there were looking good, rock roses in abundance. A nice spot.

G

George North

Eeeh Bugger!

You haven't had the full Smeltmill experience until you've got properly soaked in the entrance!

Glad yo jhads a good trip!

Pissed Geporge.

kay

You haven't had the full Smeltmill experience until you've got properly soaked in the entrance!

Well, I got pretty wet! It was the cave mouth that was 6 inches - the wallowy bits got me soaked to shoulder depth.

PS. You brought it up!!

I did? :wink:

dunc

do you need a wetsuit for this trip then?
Its wet at the start and right at the end, inbetween is fine.
I've done it in fleece a few times, many years back I got chilly but only reason was standing around in deep water near the end waiting for someone doing a little free-dive.

kay

newcastlecaver said:
do you need a wetsuit for this trip then? I'd have to go and borrow one if I do, how manageable is it in a fleecy and an oversuit?

When we went last year, those of us in wetsuits or neofleeces were fine, the chap who discovered in the car park that his wet suit appeared to have shrunk and who went in in a furry got chilled and headed back out before the end.

It's basically in 4 parts 1)[wet (you will get soaked) 2) pretty 3) easy passage which is far too long 4) crawly. Parts 1) and 2) are the most interesting. If you can't easily get hold of a wet suit, just go in as far as you want, and turn round when you start to feel a bit cool - you'll find it a worthwhile and enjoyable trip.