Caves around Attermire Scar

newcastlecaver

quick question.. although invariably I end up ranting somewhat....

despite there being lots of caves in the dales i've not done and want to do, I'm interested in having a poke around the caves of Attermire scar; Jubillee, Attermire etc, Just out of interest has anyone else had a thorough look around here.. is most of the interest out of previous archaeological interest or is there any 'real' caving to be done, I quite fancied just poking my nose in everything there is there.. is this a day job or bit more?

any thoughts appreciated.

dunc

I've done quite a few along Attermire Scar, Attermire Cave being the best along the scar IMHO.
Theres nothing too long but pottering in and out of all of them makes for a different day out. Can't remember what else is nearby as I don't have NC2 to hand, but for a longer trip, just a short way from the scar is Wizards Chasm which I would recommend.

gus horsley

I'd agree with Dunc. The only vaguely "sporting" cave is Attermire, although Horseshoe Cave once provided an awkward dig about 35 years ago. Otherwise they're very short and muddy.

newcastlecaver

finallly got round to doing the attermire series today, set off from Newcastle and the forecast was heavy rain and couldn't be bothered with Easegill so set off for Attermire instead, I thought it made a really good day out, we started at Jubilee and bat cave (albeit small, it has a good view!) and moved on to the rest following the valley down to Attermire, poked our noses in most the holes we could find, attermire was impressive if not a little unexpected, I'd definately recommend doing this set of caves on a day when the weather is inclemental, the views out of the cave s are good and very different to any other yorkshire caves I've been in with virtually zero flood risk!

R

rogerkirk

Is attermire worth the crawl through? I'm a big bloke and I've always thought the crawl looks easy to get stuck in when I've taken my lad in there. Hardly seems worth it for 200m of cave. Plus it's got a big plastic pipe in there!

newcastlecaver

Attermire is worth the crawl, if i'm thinking of the same one as you, you walk in the entrance for about 20m, roof lowers then there is a tube like bit of passage half full of water...on the other side is rises to be as big if not bigger than before and continues, it then gets lower but is a nice cave. Of interest I thought is how close to the top of the scar/hill the cave is and also that outside the cave entrance on the scree slope there is no obvious gully formed by water exiting the cave whenever water last flowed through the cave in substantial quantities. I expected to see evidence of where the water would have spilled over the ledge and formed a small pool or gully?

Of the whole set of caves up there, Victoria is also worth it for the size of the entrance

R

rogerkirk

I agree with your observations of Attermire. I would assume that water did once pour out but there is no evidence of this as the valley floor has since been lowered by glacial entrenchment, (the melting of which formed 'Attermire or 'mere' itself beneath the cave) indicating that Attermire is a very ancient cavern. I may be wrong, but it's nice to try your own theories. Thanks for the advice. Think I'll try the crawl out. I've read all about a 'pool chamber' which seems worth it. Have you seen some of the discoveries from the cave in 'Limestones and Caves of North West England'? One 'bridle bit' from Romano British times was actually discovered on the scree slope you mention. I always think Attermire's entrance is stunning in its location and my kids love it. I've seen the crawl half full of water once - but on a few occasions it's been bone dry. Rumour has it that the plastic pipe has something to do with archaeological work still going on in there. They must have been persistent people dragging a chariot all the way up there. It's bad enough with a rucksack!!