Camcorder recomendation, without too much faff.

Alex

After doing a quick search on this forum and on the t'internet I have not managed to turn up much that suits my needs as no one can seem to reccomend a model.

I already have a good cave proof digital camera, however its filming capabilities are limited both in recording length and quality. I am looking for a camcorder that I can take underground to document my trips, mainly for personal use. It must be of course waterproof, shock proof and mud/dust proof but also it should have its own light source to make filming easier. (I dont want to have to carry a darren drum through some of the caves I go through hence why like my current camera it has to be tougth).

I have read that lighting would be a problem, so a camcorder with its own light should help to solve this problem? I do not want the faff of setting up seperate light sources as I know no one would wait for me and I want to capture the action as it happens.

Any recommendations?

first-ade

A friend of mine has one of these and it seems pretty nifty.  Sanyo also has another camera that looks similarly robust.  Lighting is always a problem, I'd doubt you would be able to find a camera with a decent embedded light capable of lighting up anything more than 5ft away.  You could always have a play with a light box made with a super bright LED similar to Rob's creation.  My friend uses something similar plus a couple of scurions for good results.  Best option would be to go for the camera with the best low light sensitivity.

G

grahams

Depends on how much cash you have. The ultimate would be a Canon Legria with waterproof housing but that will set you back about ?500 for the camera and almost as much again for the housing. Much cheaper at about ?260 is the GoPro Hero which has a superwide (semi-fishy) lens, shoots 1080p and is complete with a housing. Take a look at the spectacular videos at www.goprocamera.com and on utube. The 1080p cameras seem to give much better results than the low resolution cameras. 1080p can be transformed to low res if your telly isn't HD.
I'm currently using the Flip video with waterproof housing which shoots 1080p and has a lens that gives a medium wide focal length. Price - about ?150 in total. Make sure you get V2 of the housing as V1 leaked. The housing is very robust but does not have any fixing points if you want to use it on your helmet. Low light performance is not great due to the minute sensor size. The Flip and GoPro are utterly simple to operate and therefore good for caving.
Only the Legria has its own light. A powerful caving light is just about sufficient to illuminate passages such as the KMC valley entrance Roof Tunnel but would be useless in the Master Cave. 

Alex

Well I finally got it today after 3 weeks of waiting and the bloody thing dont work. So my review 0 out of 10. If Royal mail breaks it then it isnt very rugged is it?

LEDs are bright however, so at least I could use it as a backup light lol.

Alex

Sent it back getting free upgrade, probbably in another months time but I am not sure if this one has in-built lights.

Alex

It was my computer at fault at least for the SD card reader. Anyway after buying an external card reader its alive.. its ALIVE!. I will test it out this weekend and do a quick review some time after.

Alex

I did forget to post a review here, probably because I lost the bloody thing after only 3 trips with it.

Well I will summarize the pro's and con's of this and the camera I bought to replace it.

Pro's
It is somewhat waterproof though I never got chance to test it properly underwater.
Its nice and small so does not get in the way.
It operates okay in the dark gives reasonable pictures, compared to my more recent acquisition anyway.
Cheap I think it cost me ?90 but if I shopped around now I could probably get it for ?50.

Con's
Well first off it comes with no decent way to attach it to your helmet the velcro solution I was supplied with, failed not underground but on the walk to the cave! Hence why I lost it.
If The lights on it are turned on then you get a haze on the camera. So they are not good.
It was hard to tell when it had finished recording or that it had actually started recording.
You need an SD card reader to see the images you cannot simply plug it in via usb to see them.

6/10 for caving.

My more recent acquisition a OLIX Drift

Pro's
Good quality image can do HD.
Preview screen so you know what it is doing and you can play back
Rotate-able lenses, so the image can be rotated about a bit better.
Waterproof, tested by me to 1m depth.
Plenty of ways to attach to my helmet.

Con's
Useless in the dark, so not really much good for caving!
Lense is too exposed so again not any good for caving as it gets muddied up and scratched too easily
Too big, it constantly gets smacked into things
Its quite a bit more expensive at 150.
You need an SD card reader to see the images you cannot simply plug it in via usb to see them.

Because some of those con's are big points when regards to caving it only scores 4/10 and hence why in lives on my table at home and is not doing anything.