Matienzo - 50 Years of Speleology

Juan

50yrs-200x100.jpg

Modern caving and speleology first started in Matienzo, Cantabria in the 1960s, first with small groups of locals and then with organised expeditions. British involvement started in 1969 and has continued up to the present, now augmented with cavers from other countries. Hundreds of cavers have been involved in the exploration of hundreds of kilometres of cave passage  :beer:

In 2010, we intend to celebrate 50 years of speleology in Matienzo with a number of events, memorabilia and a substantial book.
Further details and invitations to contribute to the publication are to be found at http://groups.google.co.uk/group/MatienzoCaves/web/matienzo-50---the-book.
The publication is being edited by Pete Smith and me. A number of people have been asked or have offered to contribute articles and photos. This is a request for more material from anyone who has been to Matienzo. Although the book is going back 50 years, starting with the Spanish explorations, we are looking for any interesting recollections and / or photographs right up to and including this year. They can be underground or on the surface.
Would you be interested in writing something for the publication? It may be general personal recollections, a specific trip or a short anecdote. We can deal with photos in any format.
The deadline for all contributions is the end of September 2009, and earlier if possible. Pete has to translate everything into Spanish and then text, photos, surveys etc have be laid out and sent to the printer for an early 2010 publication.
Please send a personal message or contact me through the Matienzo web site http://www.matienzo.org.uk if you are able to contribute.

Many thanks,

Juan Corrin

graham

Cracking subject for a debate, Juan.

What exactly do you mean by modern caving and speleology ?

Juan

What exactly do you mean by modern caving and speleology ?

Nothing "exact". Modern caving and speleology is systematic and extensive cave exploration for the sake of speleology. Rather than sheltering from the rain, using them as goat pens, or living in them.

I suppose!

graham

Fair comment; so you mean that's when it started there, not that that was where it all started.

Juan

I'll have to brush up my English - the first sentence could mean what you thought it meant!

Juan

So, for Graham and others:

In Matienzo, modern caving and speleology started in the 1960s, first with small groups of locals and then with organised expeditions. etc
(I've a job for you, Graham. What about some proof reading?)  ;)

Juan

For anyone who's been to Matienzo:

Matienzo Calendar for 2010

The "Matienzo 50" calendar will be a A4 portrait-size wall calendar with each of the 13 photos (12 + cover) taking up a landscape A5 space near the top of the page. Print run: 100. Selling price: ?6 (?7) allowing for some to be given away.

This a request for photos! The photos can be anything related to Matienzo and the caves, eg landscape, caving action or posed, camping or bar shots / groups of people - in black and white or colour. The calendar will have as wide a range of activity as possible from as many people as possible. "Historical" shots are also welcome. Any photo needn't be perfect - "atmosphere" might be more important! All contributions will be acknowledged on the calendar.
The printer says calendars are printed and trimmed so photos should be printable at 220mm x 160mm at a resolution of at least 300dpi. But I can sort that out if you just send a scan or an original print or slide (all originals will be returned).
The landscape format may not be a limitation - a couple of portrait shots can appear side by side on one month.
Please send any photos (max 3 or 4) for consideration to me (see Matienzo website www.matienzo.org.uk) before midnight Sunday 21st June. (I would like to take some calendars out in July / August to sell and others will be sold at Hidden Earth.)

Thanks!
Juan Corrin

Juan

Matienzo  - 50 Years of Speleology

Celebrations for the 50th anniversary of organised caving have already started with 3.8km of new cave passage surveyed during the 2010 Easter trip.  ;)

A Matienzo all-day event has been organised by Andy Pringle at the Dalesbridge Centre, Austwick on Saturday June 12th.
Throughout the day there will be talks about many aspects of Matienzo caving - the beginnings, the future, diving, archaeology, equipment, geology, etc. Other attractions include displays of photos and surveys, speleological activities and stalls. A buffet meal will be laid on in the evening and the event will finish off with a band and stomp. A bar will be available all day. There is plentiful camping space.
Prices: Day time - ?7; buffet - ?7; stomp - ?7 or all three for ?20.
Tickets are available from Jane Chilton (NILTOBYCHILTON[at]sky.com) Andy Pringle 01229 821408 andrew.pringle415[at]btinternet.com or Steve Martin big_stevemartin[at]hotmail.com

The Fiesta in Matienzo has been organised for August 7th and 8th and includes a BBQ, Dances, Displays of Surveys and Photos, Old Photos of Matienzo, Duck Race, Caving Games, Underground Trips, Tortilla Competition, Childrens Games, Photo Competition, Football Match and Tug of War. Needless to say, bars will be running non-stop. Anyone who's had a connection with Matienzo caving over the last 50 years is very welcome. More details from juancorrin[at]matienzo.org.uk. Posters advertising the events are available in Castellano and English from the Matienzo web site. http://geography.lancs.ac.uk/Matienzo/history/50years/index.htm

The Matienzo book (dual language, 320pp) is well advanced. Publication date (some time in 2010) is still uncertain.

Juan

Matienzo  - 50 Years of Speleology
Further details for June 12th from Andy Pringle (see previous post)

Presentations will be in the Bar which will be open from 11:00hrs to 01:00hrs

a.. The Start of it All
  b.. Geomorphology
  c.. Archaeology
  d.. Diving
  e.. Technology (Surveying & Photography)
  f.. Recent New-comers Views
  g.. Over-view of caves 'as of now' & potential for more  / connections etc.

Other attractions include, but not limited to:

a.. Tortilla cooking competition (Please contact Jane Chiltern if you wish to enter)
  b.. Squeeze machine
  c.. Irbey Pump
  d.. Throughout the day there will be a display of photos and surveys!!

Most of all the event will allow us to meet & Celebrate 50 Years of caving in Matienzo with friends (some of whom we have not seen for many years).
The food section of the tickets will be for single course of meat or vet lasagne with salad & potatoes.  This will be served from 18:30hrs to 19:30hrs.  JJ will provide meals for sale during the day.

Anyone  who requires accomodation should book directly with JJ

Approx Time Line.
10:00 Setting up displays in Maple Room.
11:00 Bar open
12:00 -17:00 Presentations
17:00 Band setting up on stage.
18:30 to 19:30 Food served
19:30 Raffle
Between 20:00 & 23:00 Two sets from band.
01:00 Bar closes

Juan

June 12th at Dalesbridge was a great success and raised over ?1000 to help feed the Matienzo locals for free in August.
MATIENZO 50: Matienzo Fiesta over August 7th and 8th
Programme still as advised on May 1st (below) with the addition of the DCC Fluffies parading on Saturday (and probably other times).
Numbers of people coming to the BBQ on Saturday 7th August are required. If you're not on the Matienzo Google summer timetable or haven't told Sue or Steve Martin then please advise me (email address on the Matienzo web site). Although we are catering for, perhaps, 300 - 500, more exact numbers would be useful!
Juan Corrin
http://www.matienzo.org.uk

Juan

Matienzo: 50 Years of Speleology

The book files have been sent off to the printer. 205 x 287mm; 320pp, full colour throughout; photos, maps, surveys etc etc. Also a DVD with extra material (photos, videos, Google Maps application etc etc) and an A1-size geological map of the Matienzo area are included. The publication (ISBN 978-0-9566045-07) will be available on August 7th and then at Hidden Earth.

Contents
1 Geography
2 Matienzo as it used to be
3 50 Years of Change
4 The Caving Expeditions to 2009
5 Cave Diving
6 Geology
7 Geomorphology
8 Archaeology
9 Future of Caving in Matienzo

(33 written contributions and over 80 photographers have helped make the book a well balanced and comprehensive overview of the Matienzo caving scene, past and present.)

Juan

In the end, I had an offer to proof read from nearer to home. But I'm sure they won't be up to your standard. :coffee:  ;)

graham

Juan said:
In the end, I had an offer to proof read from nearer to home. But I'm sure they won't be up to your standard. :coffee:  ;)
No criticism intended  :) I am all too aware of what I do miss.  :-[

Duncan Price

Just got my copy through the post.  Sent cheque last Thursday by 1st class and the book (well wrapped with accompanying CD/geological map) landed on my desk today.  At fist glance it looks like an excellent production  -full colour lots of good photos and the opportunity to improve one's Spanish - but I'm going to have to put it beyond use until I get home otherwise I won't get any work done.

graham

Juan said:
"Again the Brits have put American efforts at documenting caving projects to shame." Bill Mixon

Indeed, I would cite the letter from Steve Warren in the latest Descent in this regard.