TSG Chapel Works - Temporary closure

pwhole

Just a post to inform the caving community that the TSG's Chapel Works in Castleton will be closing temporarily from Monday 23rd March for a period of 14 days as a response to the Covid-19 outbreak, after which time the situation will be reviewed by the club Trustees and Committee as to whether to extend the period of closure - obviously dependent on how the situation develops over those 14 days. Bookings have been cancelled and the relevant groups informed. If anyone other than club members did plan to visit over this coming weekend for any reason, please observe the additional entry requirements of washing your hands immediately after entering and observe the now well-posted Government hygiene recommendations.

This isn't a situation we're happy about, but clearly these are not normal circumstances, and as a well-used bunkhouse in the centre of a popular village we have a responsibility to our guests, our members and the local community, with whom we co-exist, to minimise the possible risk of transmission via the club facilities. The Chapel will not be abandoned, and will undergo a deep clean and disinfection process during the shutdown to try and mitigate any chance of repercussions at a later date. We don't need any help, and the job will be done as quickly and as safely as possible. To avoid any disappointment for advance bookings, given none of us know how this will develop, we'll post an update after the 14-day period and review.

In the meantime, everyone stay safe and try to have a good time, all the time  :)

mikem

I doubt any huts are "open" for group visits now - although news may not have reached the Grampian ;)

pwhole

Well the Chapel is unusual in that it's slap-bang in the middle of a tourist honeypot village, rather than some remote field miles from civilisation, which is where most caving clubs are situated - so we do have to take extra care for both us and the locals, none of whom we wish to become infected. We have a good reputation in the village, one that's taken years to develop, as we could obviously become pariahs in a short time with too much bad behaviour - so it's incumbent on us to maintain that, and give the village a chance to sort themselves out without us adding extra randomness to the mix. They do actually live there, and we need to be good neighbours.

I'm sure we'll all cope ;)

Likewise, Craven Pothole Club have likewise closed our cottages in Horton (Yorkshire!).
We felt this was a good thing to do, and I'm sure will anticpate more formal official restrictions.

I think closure will need to go on for many weeks (months).

Bob Mehew

mikem said:
I doubt any huts are "open" for group visits now - although news may not have reached the Grampian ;)
The Grampain issued an email to members on Tuesday 17th stating that the hut would take no further bookings and reserve it for members use.  So does Taigh nam Famh take the award for the most socially isolated place? 

At 11 miles from the nearest pub that also is probably a (not so good) record for a caving hut.  Though with temporary closures such as like the Hunters has announced, the title might be contested.

mikem

Queen Vic was apparently still open (Castle of Comfort has also closed - so MCG is probably furthest on Mendip from an open pub - no change there then!)