child freindly cave , dales / derbyshire ?????

Andyj23UK

got a message this morning from i friend i mine explore and cave with - he wants to take his son on a trip [ age 11 ]

most of the mines on my to do list demand rope access or have dangers i am not happy exposing someonelses child to

not sure if he is averse to water - but the cave needs to be forizontal - no ropes or ladders

i would preffer as dry as possible as obviously waist deep on an adult is chest deep if you are small - i have already thought of great douk or a day up selsideinbetween borrins moor to the pools in lower long churns

any other ideas

lastly do either of the ingleton cave shops do kit hire in childs sizes ? specifically undersuit / oversuit and nepoprene socks ???

skippy

Andy,

I'm planning on taking Mrs 'C' into Great Douk sometime the week after Easter...If you and yer mate+child fancy it give me a shout...probably the Friday after Easter Monday.

Benfool

The places I used to go to as a kid were The Churns, Great Douk, Sunset, Browgill to Calfholes and back, Old Ing, Birkwith, Heron Pot (to first pitch), Valley Entrance to Pitch, Caves around Ribblehead - they should all be okay!

B

zomjon

In Derbyshire, my 3/4 yr old has really enjoyed: Jug Holes, Brightgate, Tearsull, Mouldridge, Wapping, Devonshire, Cumberland and Masson. Now he's five, I think I might venture with him to Giants and Carlswark, and Owd Git could even persuade me into Clatterway!!!

TheBitterEnd

Bernies do kids under/over suits, not sure about socks.

There's Thistle, Runscar and Katnot at Ribblehead, High Douk Holes (upstream of Hardrawkin) can make an extention to a trip up Great Douk. Getting kids past the pools in lower LC is not hard if you don't mind getting wet yourself. Browgill up to the bottom of Calf Holes does involve a climb but most 11 year olds would find it easy/fun (the upstream continuation of calf holes is also worth while, but given that you have to go back out through Brow Gill it may be a bit much for a first trip). The Valley Entrance roof tunnel to the pitch and then through the milky way and beyond is enough crawling for any kid. (I've done all these and more with my similar aged kids - just take plenty of sweets and expect to travel reasonably slowly). For a bit more adventure, Sunset to the top of the final pitch makes a good trip but you do need to put short ladders on the climbs or give the kids a leg-up etc.

Obviously most of these are active streamways and so need a careful eye on the weather, also Kids get cold pretty quick so good insulation is important (for reference my 12yo daughter normally wears a wetsuit and a fleece suit and oversuit and still gets cold!).

(I know the above repeats what others have just posted but since I typed it I am going to post it anyway)

simonsays

My own speleo-kiddie has been around the churns a couple of times, enjoys crackpot and can cheerfully manage the great douk douk to middle washfold trip. He's just turned 13

simonsays

skippy said:
Andy,

I'm planning on taking Mrs 'C' into Great Douk sometime the week after Easter...If you and yer mate+child fancy it give me a shout...probably the Friday after Easter Monday.

I'll be happy to come along if you fancy some company. Great douk is 'fat bloke friendly'  (y)

bograt

Yorkshire - Yordas, Great Douk, Upper Long Churn.
Derbyshire - Cumberland, Devonshire, Jug Holes (maybe handline), Carleswark Gin Entrance(maybe handline), Gautries, Some at the top of Manifold, Otherwise give him a hat and lamp and take him for a walk down Dovedale and let him explore what he likes (that's how I learn't and got enthused, a bit younger).