Newbie in derbyshire / matlock / chesterfield

N

neontube

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting into caving. having done a fair amount of climbing over the years, i want to try something new.
Looking for a club or a group local to matlock / chesterfield i can get involved in and learn abit about caving and have a laugh along the way.
I've done a few mine trips and the odd cave when i was abit younger, but have never done anything that involved rope work underground.
I'm also a leader of a local scout group, so in addition to my own interest i'm also looking for a local group / company that could do a one off trip for a small group of scouts (aged 11 - 14).

Many thanks in advance for any info.

Cheers

Dave

Rob

Hi Dave,

Welcome to UKCaving! You'll be pleased to hear that there are a good number of caving clubs in your area, many of whom have members on this forum, so no doubt you'll get some people trying to latch onto you soon.  (y)

In the meantime you might wanna have a look at http://www.trycaving.co.uk/ as there's loads of info on there for people wanting to get started.

Good luck,

Rob

paul

Rob said:
You'll be pleased to hear that there are a good number of caving clubs in your area, many of whom have members on this forum, so no doubt you'll get some people trying to latch onto you soon.  (y)

Oh yes - you could try the Orpheus Caving Club. We are based at Parsley Hay near Monyash.  ;)

N

neontube

paul: so when is the next meeting / outing that would suit a novice ? anything coming up over the easter week ?

paul

neontube said:
paul: so when is the next meeting / outing that would suit a novice ? anything coming up over the easter week ?

A lot of us are in Swaledale in Yorkshire over the Easter period, so it may be better to wait until after then.

If you want to see about arranging a trip underground in the Peak, email secretary[at]orpheuscavingclub[dot]org[dot]uk and I'm sure we can sort some trips out!

Keep away from Ken though - otherwise he'll have you out digging at Democratic Hole!

N

neontube

Keep away from Ken though - otherwise he'll have you out digging at Democratic Hole!
LoL not even started out and already being warned to avoid people  ;)

any other derbyshire groups out there ?

SeeJay

neontube said:
LoL not even started out and already being warned to avoid people  ;)

That warning should have had a smiley attached ;).  I was out digging with Kenny last weekend and it is good fun, but exhausting and very, very, very muddy.  Ken and Mick seem to have found a cave with a neverending supply of mud so sticky you'll have a half-inch layer of it evenly plastered across all of your suit by the time you've finished for the day.

I recommend Orpheus too by the way, I joined just over a year ago after looking round a few local clubs.  It's a good mix of people and trips.  Getting covered in mud is not compulsory  ;).

Chris

caving_fox

any other derbyshire groups out there ?

Rubber Duck caving Club. No website! Email: PotholePete [at] Talktalk.net

Small club, friendly, caters to all ranges. Based slightly further north than you are looking for - Bredbury, nr Stockport.
Seem to average about 3trips every 2 months or so.

Hi Newbie,

If you want to hire someone in to take your Scouts underground Scout rules insist that the Leader must have an AALA ticket. There is a list of Cave Instructors wit AALA ticket on the BCA website. Nigel Atkins of Pennine Underground is very good/mad.

Idris Williams Shropshire Scouts

N

neontube

idriswilliams said:
Hi Newbie,

If you want to hire someone in to take your Scouts underground Scout rules insist that the Leader must have an AALA ticket. There is a list of Cave Instructors wit AALA ticket on the BCA website. Nigel Atkins of Pennine Underground is very good/mad.

Idris Williams Shropshire Scouts

Cheers for that info, just what i needed  ;)

N

neontube

paul said:
If you want to see about arranging a trip underground in the Peak, email secretary[at]orpheuscavingclub[dot]org[dot]uk and I'm sure we can sort some trips out!

Email Sent: maybe bump into you soon

paul

neontube said:
paul said:

Email Sent: maybe bump into you soon

You may not get a reply for a few days as a bunch of us are off to Swaledale this evening for the Easter holiday for a few days. If you haven't had a reply by end of next week, send me a personal message (PM) on this forum and I'll chase it up.

martinb

neontube said:
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting into caving. having done a fair amount of climbing over the years, i want to try something new.
Looking for a club or a group local to matlock / chesterfield i can get involved in and learn abit about caving and have a laugh along the way.
I've done a few mine trips and the odd cave when i was abit younger, but have never done anything that involved rope work underground.
I'm also a leader of a local scout group, so in addition to my own interest i'm also looking for a local group / company that could do a one off trip for a small group of scouts (aged 11 - 14).

Many thanks in advance for any info.

Cheers

Dave

Evening all,

Like Dave, I'm a newbie - although have done a bit of 'recreational 'holing' with the companies I've/still work for. There is a club in Chesterfield if you email frankjbeasley(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk.

I'm interested in the caves around Stoney Middleton area - are there any current digs/extensions going on?

Martin

N

neontube

Hi All,

Many thanks for all the info posted here, been very useful.

Went on my first trip last thursday night down carlswark cavern. Was a fun trip and interesting start to caving.

first lesson.... must buy knee pads.

Cheers

Dave