New CSCC padlocks

Maj

Mendip caves that are secured with the common CSCC padlock are having new padlocks fitted. Therefore it is advised that if you're visiting a cave with a CSCC padlock, you take both the old and new keys. I believe all Mendip clubs have been issued with the new keys.

Fairy Cave Quarry caves that have CSCC padlocks (inc the car park) now have the new padlocks fitted.

Maj.

NewStuff

The bit where the CSCC didn't bother their arses to put it on the most widely read caving forum, when they put it elsewhere, speaks volumes when it's been in other places for a while now.

martinr

NewStuff said:
The bit where the CSCC didn't bother their arses to put it on the most widely read caving forum, when they put it elsewhere, speaks volumes when it's been in other places for a while now.

Seeing that all CSCC clubs have been issued with the new keys and instructions, and that non CSCC cavers needing a key will be given the new key together with the old key, why do you think it needs to be put on UK Caving as well?

NewStuff

martinr said:
Seeing that all CSCC clubs have been issued with the new keys and instructions, and that non CSCC cavers needing a key will be given the new key together with the old key, why do you think it needs to be put on UK Caving as well?

You *don't* see why it would be a good idea to put it on here? Really?

martinr

NewStuff said:
martinr said:

Yep, really. As I said, CSCC clubs already know, and non CSCC cavers get both keys if they visit. Can't see any added value by posting it here. [edit: unless one has a pirated key?]

NewStuff

martinr said:
NewStuff said:
Yep, really. As I said, CSCC clubs already know, and non CSCC cavers get both keys if they visit. Can't see any added value by posting it here. [edit: unless one has a pirated key

So, it adds no value by posting it on the most widely read forum for caving in the UK? But it does add value by posting it on another, less read, site?

Gotcha.

As for they key - there are far more creative methods, none of which involve damage to, or loss of, property, to get in somewhere. They leave no trace either  ;) Hypothetically, of course, given you are hypothesising the existence of a pirate key and not accusing us... ;)

The Old Ruminator

Some Fairy Cave Quarry Cave Leaders have their own CSCC key purely for the car park. Of course it is usual for us to pick up the cave keys from Martin Grass or the other two members of the Management Committee. We don't necessarily ask for the car park key.  Its a pain to park in the lane and I for one did not know about the key change so the information on here was helpful.

aricooperdavis

As far as I'm aware the caves/mines with a CSCC lock are:

Attborough Swallet
Axbridge Hill Cavern
Balch Cave
Blackmoor Swallet
Chard's Well
Compton Martin Ochre Mine
Conning Tower Cave
Coral Cave
Cuckoo Cleeves
Eighteen Acre Swallet
Fairy Cave Quarry car park
Five Buddles Sink
Hillier?s Cave
Hobnail Hole
Loxton Cave
Loxton Quarry Cave
Maesbury Swallet
Priddy Green Sink
Singing River Mine (recent access changes)
Sludge Pit Hole
Snake Pit Hole
Spider Hole
Star Shaft
Stock Hill Mine Cave
Stock?s House Shaft
Ubley Warren Pot (no access at present)
Viaduct Sink (no access at present)
Waterwheel Swallet
West Twin Brook Adit
Windsor Hill Flood Sink 1 & 2

Maj

Re Hobnail Hole:

This does not have a CSCC padlock on it as yet. There was a plan to put one on before Xmas, but it was felt best to wait for imminent new padlocks. Since Xmas there has been substantial flooding, covering Hobnail Hole and blocking the entrance to Thrupe Lane Swallet. Also Hobnail Hole is currently under a 4ft snow drift, so Hobnail still remains unavailable until substantial clearance work has been done.

There is a plan to have a working day or weekend over there before Mendip Cave Fest to get TLS and Hobnail open for business. A rough plan is to light a BBQ and ask cavers to come over and have a social working day or two to get it all cleared.

Will post details when a plan is made.

But an idea of numbers of interested cavers would be useful  :)
If interested either send me a PM or add to the TLS thread (not here).
Thanks,
Maj.

mikem

You'll be lucky if you can get Snake Pit to open (or find it in the summer)! Stock Hill Mine Cave isn't CSCC & Compton Martin wasn't locked last time I looked, West Twin is supposed to be a combination...

Mike

edit: unless one has a pirated key?

Many people have an "old" CSCC key quite legally. Nearly anyone was able to ask for one. I had one purely so I could go digging without having to go via a club hut. I haven't yet got the "new" one so I would find it useful to know which caves have the new one. I will obtain a "new" one asap if that is what is necessary.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
martinr said:

..erm, well I would appreciate it for one.  It takes a lot of time and effort to run UKC and I'm grateful to every caver who posts on here, especially those who do so with information for their fellow cavers, thank you  :hug:

mikem

The news was published on the CSCC website:
http://cscc.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=news:start
It has been repeated on another site run by a CSCC member, nothing strange about that...

Mike

NewStuff

mikem said:
The news was published on the CSCC website:
http://cscc.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=news:start
It has been repeated on another site run by a CSCC member, nothing strange about that...

Mike

I don't think I would be overly cynical if I thought that the CSCC (or parts thereof, some members are thoroughly decent people) were snubbing further dissemination of the (rather important) news, because the locks 'n gates brigade notionally in charge of it doesn't like the rather more progressive attitude many here have, over the regressive doffing of caps shown of the other site. We all know whose involved in the site, and it's little more than a propaganda machine for the locks 'n gates brigade, even stated so by those who are a touch wary of the changes happening.

This kind of attitude is the reason acrimonious "politics" happen. This is why we can't "just go caving".

The Old Ruminator

Clearly there are some who think every cave in the country should be open to whomsoever would like to spray paint , defecate in , vandalize or get lost and cause over massive call outs. Sadly these folk have never advanced a sustainable argument to support this view.

mikem

Entrances on open access land is a different argument.

CSCC aren't very good at publishing news or updating their website - full stop. But they do have the information about how to get hold of the keys - most have been locked at the landowners instigation, due to safety worries (being near public rights of way) or because they were being damaged. Mendip has pretty good relationships with the landowners compared to some other areas of the country...

Mike

NewStuff

The Old Ruminator said:
Clearly there are some who think every cave in the country should be open to whomsoever would like to spray paint , defecate in , vandalize or get lost and cause over massive call outs. Sadly these folk have never advanced a sustainable argument to support this view.

At what point did I say that? I bloody well didn't, and no-one else has either, so stop being an alarmist idiot.
Going by your logic, every single cave should be gated or someone will shit in it.  ::)