chamber of horroz sesh

thehungrytroglobite

yo me n my mate timbo have decided to do chamber of horroz tomorrow to celebrate me bein upgraded from 'newbie' to 'regular' on ukcaving dot com but he's got chilly feet about it so we're gonna hotbox the whole thing to make it less scary. anyone wanna spark up with us? can paint arrows on the ceiling too so we don't get lost in it and maybe blast some tunes to create some cool waves

2xw

There's some sump bailing tubing in there and if you get the siphoning right I reckon you could turn the filthy 5 into a giant bong

Boy Engineer

Well this site is certainly an educational experience for some of us. Have to confess I?d previously thought that a hotbox was something used to keep food warm. ?Bong? indicated ?luncheon is served?.
I had to ask our butler to explain.

Brains

Siphoning the CoH into the Filthy Five would be an epic bit of plumbing!  :eek:
Enjoy the visit, but remember in a dry summer it will be lower and pleasanter if a rematch is found to be required!

al

Brains said:
Siphoning the CoH into the Filthy Five would be an epic bit of plumbing!  :eek:

Yes that's what I thought too!

Based upon tales by members of the original COH breakthrough team (reckoned that it wasn't a duck back then), some of us in DCRO did wonder if it would be possible to syphon COH in the event of a shout. Back in the day, the late lamented Ralph Johnson cobbled together a self-priming syphon (two very long pipes with a pump in the middle) for use if the windpipe was ever sumped on a shout. It certainly worked on the windpipe, but it's never been tried on COH.

Rob

In the case of a shout you'd have plenty of hands available to simply hand pump it empty, wouldn't take very long with the right gear (which is readily available), and would probably be quicker than siphoning (and certainly quicker/easier to get going).

thehungrytroglobite

mrodoc said:
I'm afraid the original post was gibberish to me :LOL:

I'd love to translate it, but I'm not sure if direct references to drugs go against UKCaving guidelines. It is something along the lines of

'My friend and I have decided to tackle the Chamber of Horrors, and in between the ducks we will smoke a green leafy thing to make the experience more comfortable'

'Hotboxing' is when a substance is smoked in an enclosed space so that the smoke fills the air and accentuates the effect. Obviously I'm only talking about tobacco here...

The arrows on the ceiling are 1) a reference to the blue arrows that were painted in the passage in giants just over a week ago despite there being no obvious turnings in the passage, and 2) a joke because there aren't exactly a ton of passages leading off CoH.

The joke being that obviously, hotboxing CoH (this would have to be done when at least the 3rd duck is sumped, so there is less draught) would be a stupid idea and may well lead to drowning and / or hypothermia. It is nevertheless an amusing scenario to envision. The idea of having a rave in CoH in general is just somewhat comedic to a poor lockdown soul that has not left the house in 5 days.