You say tomato, I say pomato

cap n chris

Caving turns of phrase often result in a bit of eye-blinking.

The one which most commonly gets the mind squiggling is hearing that people have "done" a cave rather than visited it.

Presumably to do a cave infers more than a quick whizz around a classic route, e.g. to have visited most of it, hence leaving nothing more to do.

Or is it fair to lay claim to having done something by the merest action of popping in, albeit briefly, beyond the limit of daylight penetration?

Why can't we say we've visited a cave, rather than having to say we've done the cave?

graham

Chris, you 'visit' the shops, when you go caving you take on and defeat an awesome physical challenge.

I know you understand this, I've seen the video of your Goatchurch expedition.

Rhys

What I don't understand is why so many people say "Round trip" when they mean "Through trip".

Eg. "So like, yeah man, we totally went in an entrance at the top of the hill and came out of another one at the bottom of the hill. An awesome round trip, dude."

chunky

I was totally caught out by caver slang as a newbie:

Collector's piece
Sporting
Cozy

I have been conned in to many a trip by the elaborate misuse of the English language by my peers! ;)

Les W

chunky said:

Collector's piece
Sporting
Cozy

I have been conned in to many a trip by the elaborate misuse of the English language by my peers! ;)

You forgot "interesting"...

Peter Burgess

Rhys said:
What I don't understand is why so many people say "Round trip" when they mean "Through trip".

Eg. "So like, yeah man, we totally went in an entrance at the top of the hill and came out of another one at the bottom of the hil. An awesome round trip, dude."
"So like, yeah man, we totally went in an entrance at the top of the hill and tried to come out of another one at the bottom of the hill, got lost and ended up back where we started. An awesome round trip, dude." I had one of those last year!  :-[

Nigelh

chunky said:

Collector's piece
Sporting
Cozy

One of my mates now knows 'atmospheric' to mean 'trouser filling'.

Brains

Peter Burgess said:
Rhys said:

Eg. "So like, yeah man, we totally went in an entrance at the top of the hill and came out of another one at the bottom of the hil. An awesome round trip, dude."
"So like, yeah man, we totally went in an entrance at the top of the hill and tried to come out of another one at the bottom of the hill, got lost and ended up back where we started. An awesome round trip, dude." I had one of those last year!  :-[

Or even through as planned then back to the dry clothes and transport, making it a "round" :p

AliRoll

Les W said:
chunky said:

Collector's piece
Sporting
Cozy

You forgot "interesting"...

Esoteric seem rather popular with regards to squeezes ;-)