Zip wires/tyroleans - in what UK caves could they be possible?

grahams

Cathedral Quarry, Little Langdale - zip wire down the upper quarry, into the lower quarry, past the pillar that holds the roof up, out of the passage onto the quarry waste and across the river to end. Planning permission might be difficult though.

droid

grahams said:
Cathedral Quarry, Little Langdale - zip wire down the upper quarry, into the lower quarry, past the pillar that holds the roof up, out of the passage onto the quarry waste and across the river to end. Planning permission might be difficult though.

Not a cave.

Plenty of slate mines could accommodate a zipline, but that wasn't the question.....

mrodoc

You could put one in the Frozen Deep from Ascension to the other end but I think the operative word there is could.

Les W

mrodoc said:
You could put one in the Frozen Deep from Ascension to the other end but I think the operative word there is could.

You could get a good belay around that white stal column...  :tease:

Bob Mehew

Given the GG winch rig set up, I think theoretically it should be possible to put one in down the shaft, then flattening out and going back up within the chamber to the roof.  After a while of to and froing, one should eventually end up stationary hopefully somewhere above the floor.  I suspect one would need some form of shock absorber at the chamber roof end as friction is unlikely to slow one down sufficiently to otherwise not hit the roof. 

Sorry but it is a stupid answer to a stupid question.