Sediment towers

Pete K

One of my favourite types of cave formation occur when drips of water fall onto loose sediment deposits. Any pebbles or stone defects the drips and only the sediment around the hard object is washed away. Given enough time without disturbance, the pebble ends up as the 'hat' on a pillar of sediment.
It has occurred to me that I do not know if this feature has a specific name and Google is not being forthcoming with info.
Can anyone point me in the direction of any writings on these sediment formations or even simply a name.
Cheers
(photos care of Phil Lilley)

Attachments

• Sediment towers.jpg
    Sediment towers.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 428
  • Sediment towers 2.jpg
    Sediment towers 2.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 167

pwhole

Here's the ones at the entrance to West Chamber in Oxlow, sadly only with an onboard flash, so a bit flat - I often considered these for a 'Wezzit?' but figured they'd be too easy - or that I'd get accused of merely posting micro-formations again. They remind me of a Lowry painting.

Attachments

• _IGP4002.jpg
    _IGP4002.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 154
  • _IGP4001.jpg
    _IGP4001.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 167
  • _IGP3998.jpg
    _IGP3998.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 160

aardgoose

Surface features usually larger are apparently know as "earth pillars" - same mode of formation, just outside.

mikem

Also hoodoos or "fairy chimneys" when a harder rock covers a soft one; for some other great geological formations including caves & karst:
https://matadornetwork.com/trips/60-mind-bending-rock-formations-from-around-the-world-pics/

Mike

tony s

Sediment towers in soft silt - no stones visible, so maybe the resistant cappings formed as a result of slight calcification from roof drips, although no calcited drip pits are now visible - Ogof Llyn Ddu 3

Attachments

• IMGP1136b.jpg
    IMGP1136b.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 414
  • IMGP1147b.jpg
    IMGP1147b.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 410
  • IMGP1145b.jpg
    IMGP1145b.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 404
  • IMGP1139b.jpg
    IMGP1139b.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 425

A_Northerner

I love the sediments in Oxlow, it's great showing them to people on their first SRT trip - they look like a tiny metropolis!

I've often considered putting in some conservation tape around them, not only would it protect them from a stray hand squashing them but it may also draw the eyes of people who may not know they are there (an often understated usage of conservation tape in my opinion!).

Is this something the DCA would be okay with?

Chocolate fireguard

I think the ones at the entrance to Oxlow West Chamber must regenerate.
I first noticed them in the 1980s and they don't seem to have been damaged. This doesn't seem likely for such a fragile feature right next to a trade route.

What might happen is that the small stones and fine tailings from above slide down onto the ledge and splashes from an inlet high above on the opposite side (RHS as you walk into the chamber) remove anything not protected by the stones.
This inlet barely flows in dry weather but can give you a soaking in very wet weather.

I am reminded of a photo of an object (might have been a crate of Canadian Club whisky?) atop a slim ice pillar.

AR

They definitely regenerate fairly quickly; last time I was in Side Mine at Matlock I saw some at the far end in the tight entrance to a bit I'd been in on my previous visit about five years previously.

pwhole

These aren't sediment towers as such, but some of the mud formations in the Boiler Room in the Pit Props series in Speedwell are really special - caused by repeated flooding through the bedding and then followed by very slow drainage through the floor, which is probably a boulder choke above a lower bedding, which I think is the one in the right wall below the Bung. Some invariably got trashed crawling through when we surveyed it, but there's plenty left, all protected by overhangs or the roof. One day this chamber eventually will fill up, but way beyond our lifetimes, as it's only catastrophic levels of flood that will reach it. I did start digging a small tunnel on the right (east) side toward the Bung/Block Hall, but other projects got in the way, as always. But I will return to that one eventually.

Attachments

• _IGP4384.jpg
    _IGP4384.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 158
  • _IGP4379.jpg
    _IGP4379.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 158
  • _IGP4365.jpg
    _IGP4365.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 165

Amy

My favourite quote from Rostam when he was here last:
"Even your mud is pretty!!!"

We tend to use the word "hoodoo" here, if that helps.

Leclused

Pete K said:
One of my favourite types of cave formation occur when drips of water fall onto loose sediment deposits. Any pebbles or stone defects the drips and only the sediment around the hard object is washed away. Given enough time without disturbance, the pebble ends up as the 'hat' on a pillar of sediment.
It has occurred to me that I do not know if this feature has a specific name and Google is not being forthcoming with info.
Can anyone point me in the direction of any writings on these sediment formations or even simply a name.
Cheers
(photos care of Phil Lilley)

In French they are called 'Sapins d'Argile"  (http://www.lafrancevuedesgrottes.fr/2014/02/13/la-grotte-de-trabuc-30-les-100-000-questions/)

Roughly translated "Clay Pine trees" or "Clay Christmas trees"

Dagobert

phil lilley

Interesting suggestions of names. Thanks guys . I asked Pete what they where called and asked a few other guys there seems to be a variation of names.
These particular ones where found in west mine Alderly Edge.