What is this thing? A speleothem(?) found in King Pot..

rhyst

Hey everyone,

On a recent trip to King Pot whilst waiting for some rigging my friend dived up a disgusting looking inlet and found a small, closed fist size formation on the floor.

Pictures here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wW4IFn8FyOGj679j1

The material was solid but the details small enough to be fragile.

Any clues as to what it is?

Thanks,
Rhys

Pitlamp

Looks like an underwater crystalline calcite deposit; which grew in a still pool fed by autogenic flow (what cavers call "percolation water"). Known to some as "cave coral". There's a lot of similar material in the show cave at Clapham (particularly in a feature called the "Crystal Pool").

tim.rose2

Interesting this should come up.  I posted a picture on another thread a couple of weeks ago (https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=23354.0) of something which I found on Portland in Dorset which looks very similar (apologies you will have to scroll down a bit - I can't work out how to link direct to the correct post).  I to am interested in what it is.  We have loads of bits of it in some dig spoil - range of sizes from a few cm's to lumps the size of your fist.

Alex

Loads of stuff like this abroad. Formations like this are 10 a dozen in Matienzo.

Pitlamp

alastairgott said:
Pitlamp said:
There's a lot of similar material in the show cave at Clapham (particularly in a feature called the "Crystal Pool").

A shameless plug ;) :) (for a great showcave)

Sorry about that; I  avoided typing the cave's name on purpose, as I didn't want to upset anybody or possibly break any forum rules.  But it probably has the most extensive area of "cave coral" in the Dales, in the public section.

aricooperdavis

tim.rose2 said:
I can't work out how to link direct to the correct post

You can click the post title above that particular post and it'll add a bit of info to the URL.

28k2hqQ.jpg