From Bristol to Mendip /Wales lifts

bagpuss

Just reposting this, posted on new to caving a month or so back and still looking to do more caving. Mostly looking for Sunday trips in Mendip or Wales.

Hi,
I've recently started caving, been on about 15 odd trips, all of which I've really enjoyed. I've joined a club, and trying to fit it getting along on some of the club trips. Itching to explore some more of the mendip caves, but lack of transport is proving a bit of a restriction. Just thought I'd put a post up on here in case anyone was looking to do trips locally and would be happy to lift share from North Bristol area - willing to pay for petrol etc. I've got my own basic kit to use.

Also willing to help with digging (although I'd be a totally novice on that front) and any conservation trips.

Ruth

bagpuss

Just bumping this. I've managed to meet some lovely people who I mid week cave with, but I'm still stuck for weekend trips. I have to be home by 6 on Sundays so South Wales is a little bit far, but would love to explore some of the Mendip caves more. I've been lucky enough to go on some club trips to South Wales, but they often don't get me back for 6 which proves tricky.  I love caving, and hate the fact I can't drive and end up being stuck at home some weekends not being able to do what I love. I'm able to get public transport to most places in Bristol, or train to places like Yatton, Weston, Bath etc to lift share from there. I make a good lift sharer, I bring cake and will always buy the driver beer and food in the Hunters & contribute towards petrol.

I'm willing to get involved in any caving projects, digging, conservation, photography.

I've got my own kit, and belong to a caving club so have the usual BCA insurance.

droid

There's a bus that will take you from Temple Meads towards Wells. Forget the number, but the stop is just at the bottom of the Temple meads railway station access road.

bagpuss

Thanks for the info Droid - I've used that service before from the bus station. Takes 30 mins from mine to get to the bus station then 1 hr 15 to wells by bus, if you include the return journey & + getting to cave (and faff time!) it doesn't leave masses of time for caving. Still, if I could find anyone interested in caving on Sundays I'd probably give it a go :)  I've been hankering after a trip down Welsh's Green Swallet, but no-one seems to want to go with me!

Les W

bagpuss said:
Les W said:
bagpuss said:
I've been hankering after a trip down Welsh's Green Swallet, but no-one seems to want to go with me!

:-\ :D

Is it that bad?!

You'll probably only go the once, unless you really, really like mud....

To be fair, it's a cracking trip but it is mostly crawling in grey mud. You can stand up in a couple of avens though to relieve the monotony and give your back a break.
You will come out looking like you have been in a cement works though...  :unsure:

bagpuss

I'm a big fan of mud and getting muddy so not a problem. I like seeing interesting things in caves and the selenite crystals would be interesting to see.

Aubrey

Les you exaggerate!  :doubt:

It's about 30 years too late for the real mud. Last time I did Welshes it was nearly clean.
e.g. Compost Corner was a big rock walled passage - unlike the muddy thrutch it was named after when we first got there.

Not the best place to go in very wet weather, particularly if you want to get to the bitter end.

bagpuss

I won't be heading there until I've found someone to cave with and the rain has held off - if it ever stops?!