Olympus TG flash cover

beardedboy

I have just purchased an Olympus TG5 following it's great reviews on here. I intend to use it with remote flashes, either using my old fireflies or the Yongnuo type flashes. I blame all of this on winning a Peli case from the UKC hidden earth raffle. I need something to put in it!

Anyway, I have keenly followed various threads, but this one has been of particular interest regarding the use of a Tg camera with a Yongnuo flash here: https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=24506.0

The TG series of cameras - at least 3, 4 & 5 have a removable bezel in which you can attach various addons. I have used this attachment as the basis to design and 3D print a couple of covers which can easily be attached to the camera without tape etc, and also allow it to be as slimline as possible to keep the overall size down.

I have done a couple of designs to test out. The first is a lens cover which opens up to screen the flash. The second is a fixed cover for the flash.

They both allow a little bit of light through the print, but it is highly diffused and even across the shot. As they do not cover the flash fully they allow quite a bit of light out - outside of the camera angle, so hopefully they will let out enough light for a flash to see. If not it is easy to add a hole in the covers to glue in a bit of film.

This is a work in progress and I have no idea when I'll be able to test them out properly.

Let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• 20190110_144734-1209x1612.jpg
    20190110_144734-1209x1612.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 558
  • 20190110_144741-1209x1612.jpg
    20190110_144741-1209x1612.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 204
  • 20190110_150451-1209x1612.jpg
    20190110_150451-1209x1612.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 192

mrodoc

I think you could sell those but I imagine 3D printing items like this takes a while.

The Old Ruminator

There is a ring flash accessory that fits to the lens mount. Possibly that could be converted to carry the film blank instead.

https://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/cameras_accessories/digital_cameras_accessories/digital_other_accessories/fd_1/index.html

Huge

Very interesting beardedboy, keep experimenting! I'm sure there are plenty of us who would be interested in getting one of those off you.

Pete K

Huge said:
Very interesting beardedboy, keep experimenting! I'm sure there are plenty of us who would be interested in getting one of those off you.

Yes! I wonder if the TG-4 has the same fitment. I think it does as the accessories are the same. We have 2 TG-4's in our household and they are caving cameras, so take a beating. I'd be interested in paying for something like you've done above, especially one with a hole to tape an old bit of filter/film over.

beardedboy

Thanks for the positive response.

So to answer a few questions...

I've printed the yellow parts separately and used a bit of the raw printing filament (1.75mm) as a hinge pin. Figured that this would be the most robust solution at this scale.

I belive that these would fit on either the tg3, tg4 or tg5 as the attachment is the same, however I am not sure about the physical location of the flash.

The grey one was inspired by the ring flash, but does the exact opposite.

They don't take long to print, about an hour, but they need quit a bit of post processing because of overhangs, hence I will keep playing with the design. They grey one is obviously much simpler.

I'm more than happy to share the files once I am happy with the design.

ogofmole

The Yellow hinged version looks good, I'm quite happy with 35mm film over my flash, but your yellow lens cover will help stop getting the front lens covered in mud and having to try and find something clean to wipe it with.

beardedboy

I have made a few iterations of the hinged cover and had a little play with it underground.

I have added a couple of photos. The first shows the camera used with the flash exposed and the typical back splatter, the second, taken immediately after shows the spill that comes out of the side of the cover. I found this to be enough to trigger my Firefly3 slave with no trouble.

I have uploaded the files for 3D printing it to Thingiverse now too, so please help yourselves.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3550558

Attachments

• Exposed flash sml.JPG
    Exposed flash sml.JPG
    299.2 KB · Views: 191
  • Covered flash sml.JPG
    Covered flash sml.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 202
  • Closed sml.jpg
    Closed sml.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 192
  • Open sml.jpg
    Open sml.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 200

aricooperdavis

For those of us without access to a 3D printer, are you happy to make a few to post out to people? I'd be a grateful customer!

ILT

aricooperdavis said:
For those of us without access to a 3D printer, are you happy to make a few to post out to people? I'd be a grateful customer!

If not, there is a chap who has done some 3d printing for me (not related to the items he sells on ebay or to caving) :
https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/gaming_gray

Can't fault the advice and service I got when I asked him if he could do a couple of custom items for me...sent him the details and he sent me a price, when I was happy he created an ebay listing for my item

MarkS

aricooperdavis said:

I can probably print you one.

aricooperdavis

MarkS said:
I can probably print you one.
That would be fantastic, MarkS, thank you! No rush, as I won't be going underground in the near future. Happy to pay for material, postage, and your time :beer:

MarkS

aricooperdavis said:
That would be fantastic, MarkS, thank you! No rush, as I won't be going underground in the near future. Happy to pay for material, postage, and your time :beer:

PM sent.