Dr Jacksons and Peryfoot

benshannon

So I heard about these caves due to the recent change of access permissions. I've done some forum searching and It seems there isn't a great deal of info this side of 2008. So, any info? Tips/ advice as tempted to go and have a look. How dry does it need to be to be safe? (Obvs not going in anytime soon with all of this rain) I have the 1991 COPD book, has anything changed with the survey/description since then?

Mrs Trellis

Both have some extremely tight bits, Yoga hole in Dr. J's and the Iron Maiden in Perryfoot. Perryfoot imho is slightly more interesting as there is a slot in the floor where you can hear the stream - this could/should(?) be "worked" on.  The Iron Maiden can be bypassed btw. Dr. J 's is flood prone beyond Yoga Hole.

The water eventually appears at Russett Well and probably flows first into Coalpithole Rake where a "lost swallet" drained the rake. This could be the western-most bit of the presumed master cave running parallel to the Sparrowpit - Winnats road.

The last refs. in the 2010 COPD are 1975.

A_Northerner

Dr Jackson's is a cracking little trip that is mainly worth visiting for the challenge of Yoga Hole. I'm not gonna give you the "Cheat Codes" for how to tackle Yoga Hole but the name should give you a clue and let's just say it's not the most conventional manoeuvre! It is perhaps more difficult in reverse as a ~4m tight drop follows the hole and it takes a good bit of thrutching to get back up. Rescue from beyond would be interesting so if you're "plus-sized" I'd think twice before breathing out entirely to slide down the tube!

You will need a 15m rope with slings for natural belays on a short pitch beyond the squeeze, but there's not much more to see. I've done 4 or 5 trips in the past few years and there are still in situ rope traverses and pitches after this short pitch to reach the end. Not one single time have I managed to reach the far end due to the condition of these aids, they are rigged off rusted pitons and you can't see the bolts on the far side of a traverse that requires total body weight, I don't trust like that! The DCA doesn't currently have plans to place fixed aids in the cave, and rigging to the end with your own kit would require adding in new bolts as all the good natural aids have rusted pitons jammed in them! As a result I have sadly resigned myself to never reaching the far end.

Fantastic little trip though and highly recommended as a mini-challenge to test people's squeezing abilities.

bograt

I recall leaving the first nylon hawser lay traverse rope in there back in the mid '70's, a fun trip!----