Tony Knibbs

Jopo

I understand that Tony's ashes will be scattered on Mendip at a later date. I am sure that the relevant information will be on the various grapevines.

Although primarily a Mendip caver Tony was caving in Wales in the early fifties. He will be missed by many from SWCC - not least for the hospitality shown to cavers by himself and Denise at their home.

Jopo

mikem

There will be a ceremony for Tony's ashes on Mendip on Saturday 1st April, then afterwards at The Hunters at about 2,30pm. More details to follow.

Mike

mikem

The plan to is to scatter Tony's ashes at two venues, Londwood/August cave and Swildon's Hole.

For those who would like to attend the timings are as follows.

For Longwood please arrange to be at the cave at 11.00am.  There are three approach options.  From Cheddar Gorge past Black Rock, this is currently pretty muddy.  From Velvet Bottom, longer but not so muddy.  From the normal Water Works road, shortest approach but pretty muddy and slippery up and down the hills, as well as on the very limited road edges - better to park at Charterhouse Farm and walk over from there.

For Swildon's please arrange to be at Priddy Church Hall/Upper Green at 1.00pm.

A reception will be held at the Hunter's from 2.30pm onwards. Those unable to attend either of the cave venues will be welcome.

As parking is somewhat at a premium please arrange for cars to maximise passenger numbers in an effort not to cause a problem and draw unwanted attention.

Denise has asked for anyone who may have anecdotes or personal experiences or photos with respect to Tony, if they wish to, could they provide a copy for her to add to a scrapbook she is creating in his memory.

She also has asked whether anyone would like to say a few words at either of the venues.  Can you please let the MCG know if you would like to do this, so that I can coordinate this?

Finally, if anyone wishes to wear helmets at either of the venues as an indication of respect to Tony's caving days, that will be fine.

Mike

rhychydwr1

As I understand, the ashes of both Tony Knibbs and Ray Mansfield will dispatched at the same time.  I cannot go as it my wife's birthday party that weekend which I dare not miss.

mikem

If you're planning to reach Mendip via the M4, be warned that it's closed near Reading all weekend (9pm Friday to early Monday)

Mike

ZombieCake

A very fitting and memorable sendoff at Longwood and Swildon's today followed by the Hunter's for one of Mendip's finest gentlemen.

rhychydwr1

Adopted Son of Mendip by Martin `Milch' Mills and Allan Richardson. Descent (256) June/ July 2017 18-19 5 photos.