Age of ukcaving posters

mch

Reading the thread on Peak Cavern access started by ObviousSpectre, I assumed that he was under 18 years of age and looked at his profile to check. No age given, so I wondered how many others on ukCaving.com were similarly coy about their age (I'm not - I don't care who knows). A random selection of 150 profiles of users who have posted over 100 times (ie 3.3% of registered users - not really a statistically significant figure I know) shows that only 29 (19.3%) give their age, The average age of those 29 was 45.7 years and only 2 were under 30. Not that this really means anything - just idle curiosity on my part!

Oscar D

I do think many people choose not to dislose their age on the forum because it is often of no use to anyone reading their profile and I assume that some don?t want their age to be known by others as it could be used against them in a disagreement.

droid

ObviousSpectre said:
I assume that some don?t want their age to be known by others as it could be used against them in a disagreement.

Only by those that see ad hominem argument and insult as a valid debating technique.

Oscar D

droid said:
ObviousSpectre said:
I assume that some don?t want their age to be known by others as it could be used against them in a disagreement.

Only by those that see ad hominem argument and insult as a valid debating technique.

Such people do exist

droid

I agree. It isn't limited to younger folks though, it's usually anyone that doesn't agree with them unconditionally.

Best way of dealing with them is general hilarity.

markpot

Anyone,regardless of age should be encouraged to post up here.The wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum is increadable,hopefully we can encourage the new generation into the rewarding world of caving.
As a young un getting into it many years ago,we didnt have this access to the wealth of knowledge that is out there,via forums ect.
Lets use this as a posative to steer em in the right direction, via the right channel's/clubs understanding the best ethics /path to progress. Surely some clubs do family membership?

Oscar D

markpot said:
Anyone,regardless of age should be encouraged to post up here.The wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum is increadable,hopefully we can encourage the new generation into the rewarding world of caving.
As a young un getting into it many years ago,we didnt have this access to the wealth of knowledge that is out there,via forums ect.
Lets use this as a posative to steer em in the right direction, via the right channel's/clubs understanding the best ethics /path to progress. Surely some clubs do family membership?

Couldn't agree more. As someone who isn't a member of a club nor know anyone who caves already, this forum has been my primary source of caving wisdom and has helped me plan trips and improved my knowledge of the sport.

markpot

I notice your based in the west mids,can i suggest you have  word with your olds and get in  touch with pete knight or another provider (no promoting just a suggestion)and get some mentoring.so cool you posted up,good luck  (y)

Rachel

I put as little personal information on the internet as I possibly can. If it isn't there, I don't need to worry about it being leaked or sold on.

zomjon

Markpot, looking at the original post, I would have said that Rachel was exactly answering the original question!

markpot

Jon,split from the original post?,i think helping this lad get underground is what we are all here for?,i'm sure he's savvy about online use .

2xw

Doesn't sound like they need mentoring, sounds like they just want to go caving unfettered.

There isn't many under 30s on here, we've all gone out to post smashed avacado dinners on our instagram