Please Help!

survival squire

Good Afternoon All

I need to find a (or some) caves in the North (from the Peak District up) or Wales with some rather specific criteria. I have been looking on the internet for hours and hours and I am not getting anywhere so thought you guys may be able to help. The cave needs:

To be 2000ft or higher above sea level
Have areas that doesn't flood no matter the rain
Preferably igneous rock but this is not essential
More than 1 entrance/exit
Access to more than 1 Chamber/Room
Needs to be solid
Not Coastal

I know this is a rather specific list but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Squire

Mrs Trellis

If you are excluding mines then you will struggle as you have already discovered. Natural caves are in limestone , a sedimentary rock. Lava tubes exist in igneous rock but are not known in the UK as far as I know. 2000ft. = 600m. and cave entrances at this altitude are not known as far as I'm aware in the UK.

mikekushy

Isn't the Black Cuillins (Isle of Skye) Igneous?

I might be wrong but I'm sure there's ridge caves on it around 800metres high...doubt they'll be solid.

mikem

Number of posts still listed as original 5 requests in new to caving, chat, peak, dales & Wales, so sensible choice of options for criteria...

Mike

Roger W

I suspect the OP is looking for somewhere to call home when Brexit finally takes place and the resulting rising sea levels force the zombies to come swarming out of their graveyards.

Unfortunately all the possible places of refuge listed here are also known to cavers, who would undoubtedly get to them first in any such dire emergency...

mikem

glyders said:
Hmm, hard one.

If you find one that meets criterion 1 but not criterion 7, I'd love to know...
You could try Ireland (highest cliffs in Scotland are c.15OOft & England 1OOO): https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slieve_League

ali_mac

To be 2000ft or higher above sea level  -  That's 610m above sea level. The highest point in the Peak District is Kinder Scout @ 636m. 
Have areas that doesn't flood no matter the rain - Unlikely to be a problem at 610m.....
Preferably igneous rock but this is not essential - This means rock formed by lava solidifying... Caves here are predominantly limestone, which is sedimentary
Starting to wonder if there are any?

langcliffe

ali_mac said:
Preferably igneous rock but this is not essential - This means rock formed by lava solidifying...

Not necessarily - solidified lava is an extruded  igneous rock, but not all igneous rocks are extruded. Non-extruded igneous rocks include granite, gabbro, diorite, gabbro, pegmatite, and peridotite.

scurve

I think most caves 2000 feet or higher above sea level will tick the "Not Coastal" box.

I can't think of anything that satisfies all of these criteria, but Knock Fell Caverns comes close.

langcliffe

scurve said:
I can't think of anything that satisfies all of these criteria, but Knock Fell Caverns comes close.

The problem with Knock Fell Caverns is that you're trapped if the zombies find it.  That second entrance is essential.

andys

Mods: Can we combine these several topics (each in a different "region") into one super-topic to prevent repetition?

paul

andys said:
Mods: Can we combine these several topics (each in a different "region") into one super-topic to prevent repetition?

[gmod]Done, and moved to 'Caving Chat'.[/gmod]

survival squire

Good Morning All

Thank you all for your very helpful responses. Sorry i have been away on holiday and didn't really hold my breath for 1 reply let alone the amount I have had. I will check out all the mentioned caves further.

Thanks again you knowledgeable lot :)