Digging, Things that should be looked at again ?

Mark

We have all been digging some time in the past and got fed up with it, maybe some of those places are worth a second look.

Has anyone been to the choke at the end of the passage at the top of ghost rift in the last couple of years, just wondered if any one has managed to get through into the earth leakage trip,
This was a big chamber we discovered a few years ago, howling draught, hanging death, walking size passage going off, ended at a pitch in the floor which needed clearing at the top.

Perhaps its worth posting a few suggestions

ps: I mentioned ghost rift on another posting just thought it might be worth starting another thread

bubba

Administrator
I noticed the other post and was surprised nobody was interested - this sounds like quite exciting stuff - what is it like through into the Earth Leakage Trip?

Any thoughts as to the direction that this passage is heading? I can't picture it without a survey :?

SamT

JT and I were up there a while ago, He stuck is head up in the choke and muttered something negative, I never realised it went any further.

We are currently tatting away at a the end of Winnats Head - which is something that hasnt been looked at for a while. (although the waters are receeding in baggers - so it might be all hands back to deck again soon).

Derbyshire Hall in nettle?
Lloyds shaft in Eldon?
Bottom of the Abyse in Rowter?

All going somewhere!

Hows quarters going - you still digging it regular like.

Iain Barker

Magic Hammer Passage in Chrome Hill Swallet?

Disgusting muddy thing at end of Etches Cave?

High Edge Pot?

Axe (and associated) Holes?

2 un-named shafts (natural) in Coombes Dale?

Un-named cave in Coombes Dale?

Stupidly tight passages in Fatigue pot?

Mark

Bubba wrote

this sounds like quite exciting stuff - what is it like through into the Earth Leakage Trip?

We dug up through the choke which went vertical for about 8ft, then diagonally forward/upwards for about another 8ft to the base of a funnel of boulders, climbing carefully up brings you into quite a big chamber with rubble cones in three places not sure what happens to the right, but going left takes you into another chamber with a stooping size passage going off, cant remember how long it is maybe 50ft with a bit of breakdown in the floor, under this is a pitch at least 12ft deep. we only went here once,
we got interested in other stuff and heard that it had collapsed again so weve not been back.
Just starting to dig at Quarters Farm Swallet again, if anyone fancies joining in let me know

Mark

Iain Barker wrote

Stupidly tight passages in Fatigue pot?

Do you mean the rift at the end of the first phreatic passage on the right.
This draughts like mad and last time I went there you could hear a big stream quite close. its quite an undertaking to dig it (Hilti caps?). there was a lot of water running down the dale at the time. Wren Park Mine which is situated beneath the big rubbish dump at the bottom of Coombs Dale is recorded to have intersected a large river passage

mudmonkey

Sam - how's the guidebook looking these days :D

Iain's list of sites serves to highlight again the need for a decent guide to the area - dunno about anyone else newish to Derbyshire caving, but I'd hardly heard of any of those sites - only Fatigue Pot 'cos it's in his book! (was never on my 'to-do' list, but maybe it's worth a peer one day....). With such limited readily accessible documentation, sites like these run the risk of being forgotten.....

SamT

Waiting for Dr Beck to finish updating his cave registary since that will form the basis of the book. To be honest - I need to get cracking with it.
Ive nearly finished my study at home - PC got moved in there on tuesday night.
Just need to buy a big fancy black leather swivelly office chair and get myself a white persian cat.

Mark

SamT said:
So then mark - whats the story behind the name "Earth Leakage"

An earth leakage trip is a standard bit of electrical equipment, the name just seemed right for a place where the earth was moving all about you.

Mark

The end of Ivy Green cave at Stoney Middleton should repay an hour with Hilti caps, its fairly old high level stuff but there are several hundred feet of passage leading to a cross rift with an eyehole above a stal boss, taking the roof off would be easiest, the passage can be seen to continue beyond.

SamT

blimey - they're all coming out now.

Its about time too. I reckon there is a lot of young blood out there in the peak at the moment that simply dont know about these leads. pointed in the right direction, derbyshire could see lots more cave being discovered.

what about lathkill dale - there must be some digs down there that havent been 'worked' for while.

Mark

SamT said:
what about lathkill dale - there must be some digs down there that havent been 'worked' for while.

Critchlow cave could be a good un, endless crawl, draughts like mad, boulders at the end, (hilti caps) can sort of see through em.
This is one of those places that were pushed before hilti cap technology
by Ben and Mike Sutton to mention a few. needs a couple of fit racing snakes to have a look

SamT

This is one of those places that were pushed before hilti cap technology

I thought ben used something a little more powerful that hilti caps most of the time :wink:

:blow:

Mrs Trellis

Linen Dale Cave for link between Waterfall & Middleton Dale.

Frog Hole near Giant's.

Windy Knoll - can't someone get an excavator down there?

Those mines like Cockshead where t'awd man reported great water swallows.

Iain Barker

Linen Dale Cave! - Yup, forgot that one; very interesting spot. as for Frog Hole, ther isn't any access at present but if I can pull it off we may have it soon for anyone who fancies a pop at it.

Mark

Taddington Dale Cave. Has any one spent an afternoon looking for that one. Vague articles in the press 1940s ? over half a mile of cave very well decorated pictures etc. I have some corerspondence from Les Salmon who mentions this place so its probably there somewhere

Mark

Mrs Trellis said:
:)

Thought that was detroyed when they built the by-pass realigning the A6.

There was talk of more than one entrance, one supposedly high on the cliffs and one that was found while digging for a drain. there was quite a noticable disgcharge of water coming from the left bank going up dale a few months ago, not looked at it yet though