Giants hole Carnival Aven

adep

I have long been puzzled as to the location of carnival Aven and thought I had recently been in this which I got to by traversing across the top of Geology pot from a small high level oxbow, this leads to a calcited slope and after a short climb a small Aven, Carnival Aven I thought, I was looking for the connection described in the guide which says traverse across geology and drop down into the area by the Far curtain, I have read lately an old post which clears this up by Tpot and others to say that you enter carnival Aven by climbing up from the bottom of Geology and onto the bypass to the curtain, that clears that up and I shall check this out, so what is the Aven called that I entered traversing across at high level??, it's nothing new as there is a traverse line across to it

Rob

Digging up an old thread....

On Thursday i went over this traverse high above Geology Pot, and up the well calcited climbs [note, dodgy old krabs!]. There are a few ways on all vertically up in a narrow rift. Where is the "well decorated chamber" mentioned in the below thread? Didn't pass through or even find any boulder blockages.

At the top of the slope there is a bolt climb done on spits which i managed to freeclimb ~8m up. Maybe up there?

T pot 2 said:
The climb above Geology was first identified in or around 1976/77 it was climbed if I remember correctly by George Cooper, Bob Dearman and other members of the EPC. After the initial traverse out above Geology a series of small climbs including one through a boulder choke led to a well decorated chamber. Talking to Mark W :icon_321:right and Bobby Twogood who had climbed it last year the way into the chamber is blocked.

T pot

I spoke to Mark Wright last night and when he looked ~10 years ago he didnt find any way on, and it may well have been his spits i saw. He couldnt recall the draught though...

Has anyone else here been up there?

It's interesting to note that the rift looks to be the same NW-SE feature that the Filthy Five/South Rift and Nights Templar are on. Also the top of Corkscrew Aven is nanometers away from the rift!

Attachments

• South Rift Projection Plan.JPG.jpg
    South Rift Projection Plan.JPG.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 156
  • South Rift Projection Side.JPG.jpg
    South Rift Projection Side.JPG.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 147