Vietnam

F

farmergiles

Hi there.
Can anyone help me here. I'm off to vietnam this summer and hoping to do some caving.
Does anyone know of any caving out there that is a bit more adventurous than just the normal show caves. Can I hire gear?
Also where are the best show caves?
Cheers.

rhychydwr1

There is of course a book:

VIETNAM 90 / Report on the British Speleological Expedition to Vietnam compiled by Dany Bradshaw 23 pp 3 x A3 surveys 8 x A4 maps / surveys, photos.  The Brits have managed to do something the Yanks could not, they conquered Vietnam.  Some fine caves.  In Photocopy ?5.00

Hang Vietnam - Report of the British Speleological Expedition to Bac-Son Massif - Lang Son Province 1992

VIETNAM 94 / The 1994 British Vietnamese Speleological Expedition Report.  Howard Limbert and various authors.  40 pp 4 double side A3 surveys 8 colour photos.  Useful reference work. 

THE TUNNELS OF CU CHI / A remarkable story of the Vietnam War by Tom Mangold and John Penycate  1985  287 pp 5 maps 14 photos.  And I thought caving was dangerous!  HB

VIETNAM / du lich hang dong / CAVERN TOURISM by Prof Dr Nguyen Quang My and Mr Vu Van Phai  ND [1997?]  44 pp 70 colour photos.  A rare item  SB

Well publications.  Long out of print try BCRA library

NOZ

Having been there four times on expedition. I would say that unfortunately the answer is probably NO without reams of permissions. However I believe that recently some adventure tourism may have started in the Phong Nha - Ke Bang NP.

F

farmergiles

Hi NOZ.
Thanks for the advice. I've had a look on the internet about the adventure caving around the and can't find any thing.
Is it a case of just going there and looking for a centre?
I did hear some where that you guys were going back out there this summer. Don't need a hand with the surveying?
Cheers
Giles.

NOZ

We are going back March next year. I think you may find the caves a little sporting at this time of year.

F

farmergiles

Thanks Noz.
I'm leaving for vietnam next week. Do you think paying the Phong Nha - Ke Bang NP area worth a while?

NOZ

I think Phong Nha is a fantastic show cave, seeing very few non-vietnamese visitors. I would however check the weather as Son Trach gets very (several feet deep) wet. Halong Bay near Hanoi is a must visit. Try to get off the beaten track and meet the real Vietnamese. Show caves abound in Halong bay and Thanh Hoa. Have fun.

OxalisCavingTours

I think once you caved, you are caver forever. That why I would want to reply you with a news from the core of Vietnam - Phong Nha National Park. The Son Doong Cave - the largest cave of the world - now open for all. Should you would love to check how fantastic Vietnams now, or just would need to create your own like-nowhere atmosphere here, please drop us a short email to chau.a.nguyen@oxalis.com or chau.a.nguyen@onestepvietnam.com. We made a website to you at http://www.oxalis.com.vn/oxalis. We are looking to you!