BCA Conference, September(?) 2018

badger

the hidden earth are still trying to find a suitable location as I understand it. No doubt they will let us all know when they do. the proposed dates TBC last full weekend in September I believe.

Pitlamp

Thanks - that's helpful. It confirms what I'd thought (not yet finalised).

Cheers for your help.

badger

as I understand Leek has changed its school layout and does not suit HE needs
obviously need HE committee to confirm this

Maj

Not an official committee reply, but as I see it.

Leek would have been the venue of choice for this year, but as you say they no longer have the facilities that HE requires.

We thought we had 4 venues spread around that suited HE's requirements, but not all turn out to be ideal and Leek is no longer suitable.

Search is ongoing for another suitable venue for this year (and venues for the future), so if anyone has any suggestions of venues that might meet HE's requirements, please pass the info on.

It may  be that previous potential venues that weren't suitable might have built or extended their facilities possibly making them suitable.

Local knowledge is very useful in this respect.
:beer:
Maj.

Maj said:
Leek would have been the venue of choice for this year, but as you say they no longer have the facilities that HE requires.

We thought we had 4 venues spread around that suited HE's requirements, but not all turn out to be ideal and Leek is no longer suitable.

Search is ongoing for another suitable venue for this year (and venues for the future), so if anyone has any suggestions of venues that might meet HE's requirements, please pass the info on.

Is there a tick-list of features that HE would require? Or perhaps a tick-list of features that would rule somewhere out? I.e. what has happened to Leek to rule it out? (note: I've only been to HE at Churchill). Must be plenty of similar size schools near-ish to Derbyshire

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps you could consider adapting HE to fit the venue.  Go somewhere new and try a bit of a change.  I reckon change would be popular. :confused:

Pitlamp

Much of the above has been helpful to me - the reason I posted the original question was simply to check where we're up to for a "diary" feature in a caving publication I'm involved in helping to produce.

I take it the weekend (28-30 September) is pretty much fixed but the venue is very much TBC - have I got that right?

Badlad's suggestion is an interesting one. If I had my way (which I know I won't!) the annual caving conference would be split into a few regional ones, with much greater emphasis on the caves and exploration in the areas concerned. This would be a bit like the former annual DCA congress (which still included features on expeditions of course).

I know my own caving interests aren't like many others in our community; I'm 95% interested in what's going on in the Dales and the Peak District and not especially interested in much of the rest of the rich variety which is British caving. This is why I've seldom attended the conference in recent years.

But I know the present model of conference is extremely successful and many cavers really enjoy it, which is great! I only mention the above in case it's helpful to organisers to know what ordinary cavers really want. I'm most definitely not trying to denigrate anyone - quite the reverse, as I know just how much effort our marvellous volunteers put into getting it off the ground each year.

droid

nearlywhite said:
Oh Tim you are funny, cavers liking change? I mean the majority might but when has that ever mattered  ;)

The 'majority' don't involve themselves in the organisation of the event.

It's a lot easier to follow and established format than change it.

The organisers do their best, as far as I can see.

nearlywhite

droid said:
nearlywhite said:
Oh Tim you are funny, cavers liking change? I mean the majority might but when has that ever mattered  ;)

I am confused by what you read into my comment - it was a tongue in cheek remark regarding national access discussions.

I don't think you're going to find anyone slam the organisers of the best weekend of the year.

Pitlamp

droid said:
nearlywhite said:

Simon Wilson

Pitlamp said:
... If I had my way (which I know I won't!) the annual caving conference would be split into a few regional ones, with much greater emphasis on the caves and exploration in the areas concerned. This would be a bit like the former annual DCA congress (which still included features on expeditions of course).

I know my own caving interests aren't like many others in our community; I'm 95% interested in what's going on in the Dales and the Peak District and not especially interested in much of the rest of the rich variety which is British caving. This is why I've seldom attended the conference in recent years.

But I know the present model of conference is extremely successful and many cavers really enjoy it, which is great! ...

I feel exactly the same. The southern cavers have always seemed to be better at all the other things surrounding caving - publication, talking about caving and drinking - which is fine if that's what you want to do and I don't intent any criticism there. I would be interested in a northern event with more of a focus on caving. It would be easier to organise if it had a fixed location around Ingleton or Settle - but I think that is very unlikely to happen.

droid

Must have changed a bit 'oop norf' then.

I remember some epic sessions in the Hill or the Craven Arms in the '80s :LOL: :LOL:

Maj

Pitlamp said:
I take it the weekend (28-30 September) is pretty much fixed but the venue is very much TBC - have I got that right?

Ideally the date would probably be 21st - 23rd Sept (+/- a w/end or 2  :(  ), but this will depend on availability of a suitable venue. The date will only be announced once a venue has been found and confirmed with a contract  :coffee: with the venue, until then only guesses  :confused: can be made of the date.

Maj.

Goydenman

Pitlamp said:
Badlad's suggestion is an interesting one. If I had my way (which I know I won't!) the annual caving conference would be split into a few regional ones, with much greater emphasis on the caves and exploration in the areas concerned. This would be a bit like the former annual DCA congress (which still included features on expeditions of course).

But I know the present model of conference is extremely successful and many cavers really enjoy it, which is great! I only mention the above in case it's helpful to organisers to know what ordinary cavers really want. I'm most definitely not trying to denigrate anyone - quite the reverse, as I know just how much effort our marvellous volunteers put into getting it off the ground each year.

Interesting Pitlamp chats in the Black Sheep Diggers end up coming to the same conclusion......we are always disappointed round up sessions are short ones would love way more details on UK finds especially northern

When you say your caving interests aren't like so many others....I bet if there was a poll more people than you expect think like you.

I love HE and always impressed with the organisation of it at the same time every time wish there was more sessions on UK exploration.

Before people say it.......yes I plan to get my own act together and this year provide an update on explorations in Nidderdale.

RichardB1983 said:
Maj said:

Is there a tick-list of features that HE would require? Or perhaps a tick-list of features that would rule somewhere out? I.e. what has happened to Leek to rule it out? (note: I've only been to HE at Churchill). Must be plenty of similar size schools near-ish to Derbyshire

I'm presuming the list would include;
* Large high school
* In the vicinity of a caving area
* Large sport hall for trade stands
* Large assembly hall for main presentations
* Other classrooms or smaller halls for other presentations
* Alcohol licence possible and somewhere for a bar
* Catering facilities on site
* Camping available

Is that close to the right list? Genuine question by the way - just wondering if we can help by suggesting possible venues. And would easy road/rail access be better than rigidly sticking to caving areas if a suitable venue was found?

E.g. Wilmslow, Macclesfield & Poynton just to the west of the Peak District have quite large high schools with sports halls (or a leisure centre hall on site) around 18-22 miles from Castleton. There are probably quite a few more in the south Manchester area. Not sure if these will grant an alcohol licence, but you can always ask.

Jenny P

Macclesfield School actually has its own caving club so might be worth approaching them.

Otherwise schools in/near the Peak District include Hope Valley College (in Hope, a couple of miles from Castleton); Lady Manners in Bakewell; Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School in Ashbourne (known locally as QUEGS); Matlock has a school (can't recall its name at the moment) and so does Chesterfield.  Otherwise, what about the Sheffield schools?