CHECC 2018 Best Photograph

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Post your entries for best cave photograph on this thread.

Best photograph - theme: 'Water'.    To be judged by Tommy Moore, thanks Tommy  (y).  Entries in by 10pm, November 24th.  Max 5 entries per Club, however don't forget to mention your Club!  Winner 20 points, runner up 10 points.

Tommy

Fitting the theme of "Water", I'm very excited to announce that Aquapac have kindly agreed to sponsor this competition.  :beer:

Aquapac have donated one of their HUGE 70L TrailProof Drybags to keep the winner's kit dry on caving weekends, or on expedition abroad. RRP ?44.99

Also, the runner up will receive a 15L TrailProof Drybag, perfect for taking underground. RRP ?14.99

There are also plenty of stickers and accessory carabiners to share around as well.

Trailproof Drybags

Aquapac sell excellent drybags and many other waterproof products for a range of outdoor activites:

Phone Cases - a wide range of sizes and design.

Camera Pouches - I own one of their camera pouches and think they're a great tool for this competition ;).

Even Insulin Pump Cases!

So get those cameras out, stick them in something waterproof, and let's see some fun photos.

Water is a great way to add some dynamism to your shots, whether it's the mysterious blur of a long exposure, a close up macro of a single drip hanging from a stalactite tip, the fun of stomping along a streamway, or a shot that shows off the drama and power of water in our adventurous sport - experiment!

Tommy

[PS Mods could you please add the photo where the asterisk is please, not sure the best way to do it neatly here without uploading to Flickr etc. - thanks.]

Attachments

• DSCF2683 -4.JPG
    DSCF2683 -4.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 886

Tommy

A reminder to people to get snapping and to submit you photos before the deadline!

Some very useful prizes up for grabs here, and don't forget the points towards the Grand Prize. :D

If you are attending the photography training session on Saturday, you will be able to submit any photos you take.
However that's a bit last minute, and we might not even go anywhere that wet; so be prepared to get creative with a puddle.  ;)

Tommy

nobrotson

Since there doesn't seem to be any motivation to enter from undergraduate students, as a masters student I will upload a photo to the competition. The prospect of this photo winning anything should inspire others to submit an entry.

the title of this work is 'Water Pollution at KMC'

cKVW2zvl.jpg

Flash

Entry from Southampton University Caving Club

Southern CHECC 2018
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QPqzUXWrFvhVW1u96

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Flash said:
Southern CHECC 2018
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QPqzUXWrFvhVW1u96

Hi Flash, what club????

Also, please post so folks can see the image:

See here for how (with a photo of last year's winners, Nottingham University Caving Club)

https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=24318.msg302743;topicseen#new

Elif-O

KUCC's photo entry:

Attachments

• 12038890_10203675428685718_1276363954969184395_o (4).jpg
    12038890_10203675428685718_1276363954969184395_o (4).jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 193

frawleyh

UBSS Photo entries
Croesor-Rhosydd slate mine through trip
(photo creds Dan Heins)
AF1QipN2IZ_ietR_2tTIHs0p2LkaORFF0uhu7EeDg6p1A0UXRW6Kwjiv-EwGGjndqJ1Vbg

AF1QipMXv3u09QdQBYnEzYdRuaJWmLGL1xBYkuf9yfI04V97w_c8tmD_M5f6tL0OafzO3g

Attachments

• 20181117_160753.jpg
    20181117_160753.jpg
    1,005.7 KB · Views: 198
  • 20181117_163840-min.jpg
    20181117_163840-min.jpg
    541.2 KB · Views: 201

Rhi

MUSC's photo entries:
OGKlMvq.jpg
by Tim Dobson

xWFrxnY.jpg
by Todd Rye

P0uS36w.jpg
by Rhiannon Hobbs

qgydWF9.jpg
by Rhiannon Hobbs

XwEyMQw.jpg
by Rhiannon Hobbs

mcgurkinn

SUSS Entries are as follows:

A Beach Trip to Castleton (nudity warning :spank:)
https://imgur.com/zVe6wlb.jpg
zVe6wlb.jpg

by Dave Cattell

Buxton Employee adjusts his helmet at mach 2 (2018, Colourised)
https://imgur.com/4Amxn2v.jpg
4Amxn2v.jpg

by Leo Bradley

Fresher's Season
https://imgur.com/JLzz8lf.jpg
JLzz8lf.jpg

by Dave Cattell

Dark Lights???
https://imgur.com/3W79xDt.jpg
3W79xDt.jpg

by Leo Bradley

P.S. the photos are too damn large to put in the post so I just had to link them instead

FinMcKinnon

Hi,

Here's the first lot of Plymouth University (Adventure and Expo)'s Entrys:

EoW6uDC.jpg

Credit: Finlay McKinnon

yJdRyYt.jpg

Credit: Finlay McKinnon

chunky

Some really good photo's this year, and a few exceptional ones too. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

Tommy

So a huge thank you to all of the excellent entries this year, I have to say it was a tough decision picking a winner.

With shots from up and down the country it's excellent to see student caving clubs having so much fun underground, some serious and some playful.

It made sense this year to split the main award into two categories:
  • Best Technical Photo ("overall winner")
  • Best Fun Photo ("runner up")
Along with the usual:
  • Best Newcomer(s)
For photographs taken during the training session on the Saturday.

Congratulations to Ben Richards from Imperial CCC for your excellent capture of Gaping Gill, the competition brief was "Water" and what a fantastic representation of the drama and beauty of water in an underground space.
The depth and layering in the water is superb, resembling white horses breaking on large ocean waves. A deserving winner.  :clap:

The best fun shot for me was from my own student club (controversial perhaps, but I was nowhere near when it was taken!).
Conor McGurk/Dave Cattell from SUSS portray a fin(e) parody of the "sharking" that occurs during freshers' season at the start of the academic year, and what better place to do it than one of Castleton's finest open water swimming venues.

Enjoy the drybags guys, I hope you make good use of them for caving trips and more photography, remember to share it on the forum!

The training session on Saturday was split into two groups, one led by myself and one by Brendan Hall, so we each put one photo forward.
Finlay McKinnon's (Plymouth) reflection photograph (the first of the series of three) was chosen be me for the creative insight and passion with which it was taken; I've never seen someone so enthusiastic about a muddy puddle! The layered composition is highly effective, with the blurred pebbles framing everything with context.
Finlay received a copy of Chris Howes' book "Images Below" to study.

Brendan put forward a fantastically well lit photograph of Carlswark, taken by Izzy Martin (also Plymouth! They've got some future talent.). The rear flash brings out the contrast in the cockle bed in the passage roof clearly, and the position and posture of the subject in balance with the higher section of roof provides a great compositional foundation. We were short of a second prize so I donated my old small Pelicase - hopefully it will see more use now it's out of my cupboard  ;). This photo is included below as it wasn't uploaded to the forum over the weekend.

Well done again to everyone who entered photographs; a very strong field, thanks to UKC of course for supporting CHECC so strongly, and Aquapac for contributing prizes!

As a reminder, if any CHECC members would like a 20% discount on Aquapac equipment, ask myself or the CHECC committee for your very own student cavers' discount code.

Tommy

Attachments

• rsz_11img_7200.jpg
    rsz_11img_7200.jpg
    592.4 KB · Views: 201

Ben Richards

Just to note that the ICCC photo was actually taken by Rhys Tyers and not myself so all credit to him! I just edited the photo to make it look even more dramatic

A big thanks on behalf of ICCC! :)