80 Watts Dimmer

ZombieCake

The world has got a lot dimmer with the passing of Charlie Watts of the Rolling Stones.
Other recently dimmed lumens include Jim Steinman (of Meatloaf, Bonnie Tyler, Sisters of Mercy, etc.), and Dusty Hill, a most serious beard, and the ZZ Top bassist.
I'll start with turning my caving light down in tribute with the following.  As ever thoughts, comments, and contributions welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVrdXUHvsF0

tony from suffolk

Pete Pardo, 'Sea Of Tranquillity' on uTube, gives a spot-on tribute to Charlie.

I used to watch The Stones when they were the house band at The Crawdaddy Club, Richmond in Surrey (now Greater London apparently...), and a couple of times over on Eel Pie Island. They were superb even back then, but I confess I never really registered at the time how essential Charlie Watts was to their sound. RIP Charlie, how can The Rolling Stones ever carry on without you?

paul

?My drummer?

The incident was described in both ?Life,? the autobiography of guitarist Keith Richards published in 2010; as in the book Under their thumb written by Bill German, editor of a Rolling Stones fanzine who followed the band closely for nearly two decades and garnered interviews and previously unreleased material.

According to the latter, the fight took place in Amsterdam in 1984, when Jagger was one of the most famous people in the world.

The group held a meeting in the Netherlands to discuss whether they should continue or separate.

?None of this should matter to you because you are just my drummer? Jagger told Watts according to German?s post.

Far from reacting at the time, Watts returned to his hotel room where they were staying. After pondering what had happened, he put on his shoes and went to Jagger?s room.

Once he opened the door for him, the drummer punched him directly in the jaw. ?I am not your drummer, you are my damn singer,? he said.

Without further ado, Watts turned and walked calmly out of the room.

?Mick?s ass?
Keith Richards confirmed the punching episode in his autobiography, albeit with some differences in the story.

According to his account, he and Jagger returned to the Amsterdam hotel after a night out at 5:00 in the morning and the singer wanted then llamar a Watts.

?I told him: ?Don?t call him, not at this time?. But he did, and said: ?Where is my drummer??. There was no answer, and he hung up the phone,? the book reads.

According to Richards, 20 minutes later someone knocked on the door of the room he was in with Jagger. It was Charlie Watts, who, far from showing up in his pajamas at that hour, looked perfectly dressed in a suit, tie and perfume.

?I opened the door and he didn?t even look at me, he walked right past me, stood in front of Mick and said, ?Never call me your drummer again.? Then he grabbed him by the lapels of his jacket. and gave him a right hook ?, Richards recounted.

According to the guitarist, his intervention was necessary so that the fight did not go over, and even 12 hours later, Watts was determined to hit him again.

Be that as it may, the relationship between singer and drummer was rebuilt and this was confirmed in numerous interviews decades after their famous fight.