Just How Many Members Here Have Had COVID Experiences ?

pwhole

Actual proven case you mean? Not me. Not many of my friends or family either. I think my 18 year-old niece has, but that's about it.

Pitlamp

Sadly, I lost two of my neighbours to Covid-19 - one a former caver - straight across the road from me. I've also lost a few friends to it since March last year. I've not gone down with the virus but I'd say the above has certainly affected me deeply.

I keep testing negative, which astounds me as my job involves close contact with large numbers of people (including many from the higher tiers when they were supposed to be staying at home). Recognising this I've been religiously taking cod liver oil capsules (for Vitamin D), general multivitamins and Echinacea since the start. When the vaccinations were offered I grabbed them gratefully - and gave up alcohol for a fortnight before and after both times, to avoid any chance of compromising their effectiveness. I'm convinced something above has helped me avoid catching the virus.

The bloke who services my boiler is a fit fella (very keen fell runner; often does really well in races). He ended up with long Covid for many months. Last time I saw him he was just trying to build up to a feeble attempt at a mere 5 km park run after 6 months of feeling awful (and only being able to to do limited amounts of work).

I hope everybody is still taking this virus seriously . . .

tomferry

I have heard of a few local cases with a couple going on ventilators but these people refused their vaccine ?who caught it and went on the ventilator ?  I am talking about , me and my family all took both jabs ASAP and luckily have avoided this .

From
Northamptonshire

cap n chris

I know of plenty of people who have had CV19 and just 1 person to have died attributed to CV19 (elderly/unfit/&unwell); I know of more who have committed suicide since this shitshow commenced.

Speleofish

Personally, I'm the only member of my family to have had it and got off lightly (despite being a fat, hypertensive diabetic). Several of my colleagues got it at the same time and generally had mild or very mild disease but the guy with whom I shared an office, who is younger and much fitter than me, was off for many weeks and had numerous subsequent complications. 18 months later, he's just getting back to normal.

Professionally, I've seen about several hundred cases and have never, ever worked so hard or been so stressed. I thought I hadn't been particularly badly affected but my family pointed out (fairly politely) that I was fooling myself and considered dragging me off to a friendly local psychiatrist (which might have accelerated my recovery). I'm coming back to normal now but it's taken several months. 

Paul Marvin

pwhole said:
Actual proven case you mean? Not me. Not many of my friends or family either. I think my 18 year-old niece has, but that's about it.

Yes tested positive not think they have had it

Paul Marvin

Pitlamp said:
Sadly, I lost two of my neighbours to Covid-19 - one a former caver - straight across the road from me. I've also lost a few friends to it since March last year. I've not gone down with the virus but I'd say the above has certainly affected me deeply.

I keep testing negative, which astounds me as my job involves close contact with large numbers of people (including many from the higher tiers when they were supposed to be staying at home). Recognising this I've been religiously taking cod liver oil capsules (for Vitamin D), general multivitamins and Echinacea since the start. When the vaccinations were offered I grabbed them gratefully - and gave up alcohol for a fortnight before and after both times, to avoid any chance of compromising their effectiveness. I'm convinced something above has helped me avoid catching the virus.

The bloke who services my boiler is a fit fella (very keen fell runner; often does really well in races). He ended up with long Covid for many months. Last time I saw him he was just trying to build up to a feeble attempt at a mere 5 km park run after 6 months of feeling awful (and only being able to to do limited amounts of work).

I hope everybody is still taking this virus seriously . . .

So sorry for your losses John I really feel for you as I to have been deeply affected  :cautious:

Paul Marvin

As Pitlamp has just said I dont think a lot are still taking it seriously  :confused:, my wife and cave companion works in ITU and the numbers in ther have rocketed over the last few days  and I fear when the colder weather comes we are all in for a shock.

The biggest problem is people think when they have had both vaccines that they are 100 % immune  this is NOT the case my wifes ITU unit is full of young double vaccinated patients , last night a 29 year old fit young lady passed away from it  :cautious:

sinker

Paul Marvin said:
As Pitlamp has just said I dont think a lot are still taking it seriously  :confused:, my wife and cave companion works in ITU and the numbers in ther have rocketed over the last few days  and I fear when the colder weather comes we are all in for a shock.

The biggest problem is people think when they have had both vaccines that they are 100 % immune  this is NOT the case my wifes ITU unit is full of young double vaccinated patients , last night a 29 year old fit young lady passed away from it  :cautious:

Outbreak on our site this week; Pipelayer, Engineer and dumper driver.
All picked it up from their sons on their first week back in school; that's not proven but the timings and dates all seem to add up.
All three of their son's, aged 7-12, developed symptoms and tested +ve. Couple of days later they have passed it on to Mum and Dad. All double-vaccinated.

Don't take your eye off the ball.  :(

Steve Clark

An older lady in our climbing club caught it during the first outbreak prior to lockdown. Died in hospital in isolation. We broke lockdown rules to stand by the road as the hearse passed.

I had covid pre-jabs in January. 10days in bed and recovered after about 4weeks. My wife caught it about 3days later than me. She suffered worse and went to hospital in an ambulance, although she was discharged later the same day. She is still ill 8 months later. Resting pulse of 80+, rising to 120+ after a single flight of stairs. Doctors are working on it. (We are both 41.)

Our son (11) had it a few months later, he had a few minor symptoms.

A friend caught covid recently, despite having two active doses of the Jansen single dose vaccine late last year as part of the control trial. He was ill for a week, recovered enough to get back to running 5k?s in his usual times, then deteriorated with sharp pains in his chest. They?re trying to figure what?s wrong with him.

We have two members of our club in bed at the moment PCR positive. Both double jabbed earlier this year.

pwhole

There's a lot of reality-denial going on right now, particularly around Covid. I appreciate the normal human condition involves being physically close to people, but I keep seeing stuff between strangers that just makes me shudder, as it's so obviously risky. And I suspect many people genuinely believe that being double-jabbed makes them immune. One other factor that may be under-appreciated by many of the public about Covid in particular is that most other viral diseases in GB are not especially fatal to healthy people who are not too old - and so a sense of complacency has arisen about 'catching a cold' that can be ridden out with a couple of days off work, school or wherever. The possibility of actually dying from these diseases is very low, and so now there's a virus that really can kill even healthy people very quickly, people just don't know how to face it, and so pretend it isn't happening. I've seen interviews with Covid patients in hospital genuinely surprised that they're there. And people asking if they can have the vaccine when they're dying and it's way too late. I think the best thing anyone can do is stay as healthy as possible. I agree with Pitlamp about Vitamin D too - it's a no-brainer for the price.

I'm following the US stats and stories closely, as they're now showing just what happens when it gets out of control, even in a rich country. Idaho's health service is collapsing - Oregon's is not far behind. Nearly all of these are unvaccinated people, and typically all the people who were expecting treatment for all the other illnesses in the world are now screwed, and may die as a result. 90% of our hospital patients are unvaccinated. Is it possible that soon the moral compass will swing back toward prioritising the non-Covid patients over unvaccinated Covid patients? As in, vaccine passports presented at the desk or they're on a trolley outside instead of Auntie Jean who now super-urgently needs her hip replaced? It sounds harsh, but I bet it's potentially a lot harsher working on the wards.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/idaho-begins-rationing-health-care-covid-surge-crushes-hospitals-n1278670

JAA

My girlfriend has it currently. Otherwise fairly healthy 40 yr old. She?s on oxygen in hospital and has been since Monday, barely able to breathe without it. She has two young children. Please get vaccinated if you haven?t already people.

PeteHall

Quite a few of my colleagues have had it. My sister and her husband had it, a bunch of my mum's friends have had it. Only one person I know ended up in hospital and he's fine now.

In the meantime, I know dozens of people who's mental health has suffered through lockdown. Many have quit work, with no other plans as they just couldn't cope with it. I know people who have become completely paranoid and can't leave the house,  or are having panic attacks if they have to interact with others. I know people who have turned to junk food and alcohol and I know one person who took their life.

I have seen far more suffering caused by lockdown than I have seen caused by the virus, but I appreciate that others have had different experiences.

As someone said during the first lockdown, we aren't all in the same boat with this. We are in the same storm. We are all in different boats and we all have different things dragging us down and different needs to stay afloat.

badger

I have had, had covid issues, my nephew was confirmed positive on christmas day 2020. so that was a disrupted christmas for my brothers side of the family. My niece's boyfriend lost both his grandparents (mum side) to covid. Fortunately I have not been directly effected.

Rachel

I haven't had it myself, but numerous colleagues have (I work in a hospital but not with covid patients). The majority had an unpleasant time for a few weeks at home but a couple were hospitalised needing oxygen and one was in ICU for several months. Most have recovered ok, including the one who was in ICU, but some are now struggling with long covid. Our department is woefully short staffed due to sickness, which is impacting hundreds of patients.