Forum

Oceanrower

Dear God. What the hell have you done to the forum?

Just logged in and it's green. Very green. And all over the place. If that's the future, I don't want it!

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, sorry you don't like it.  We're just testing at the moment -on mobile phones.  You should be able to get the normal theme up by going down to the bottom and looking for desk top view - I think.  Just in from a long, long day but will offer a better explanation tomorrow.

Cheers
Tim

cavemanmike

Oceanrower said:
Dear God. What the hell have you done to the forum?

Just logged in and it's green. Very green. And all over the place. If that's the future, I don't want it!

Ditto.
Don't like

PeteHall

To boost Google search rating, a website needs to have a mobile friendly version.

My guess would be that the green mobile page is a first iteration / trial version, perhaps even automated by a new Web host?

In its current form, it may induce headaches or an epileptic fit and the content it is displaying isn't very useful, but I can see how it could work very well once it has been properly developed.

I'm always zooming in and out and pressing the wrong button on my phone, so I'm pretty sure I'd swap to using the mobile friendly version once it's done.

For now though, I'm glad I found the "desktop" button at the bottom of the page!  :eek:

Roger W

Oh dear!  My desktop is fine, but my tablet brought up the dreaded green screen  :(  Sorry, but not an improvement in my opinion.

Ah! Found the desktop view button and thank goodnes it works  :)

Inferus

Ugh... mobile version is currently horrendous, uninformative and pretty much unusable, switched to desktop view to get back to normality. Hopefully whatever you're testing will be improved very soon..😐

ZombieCake

Maybe it's a simulation of what the world looks like on a Sunday morning after some late night earnest 'cave discussion' over the odd sip of Evian water?

2xw

I am neutral on it but can I request you make the favicon a picture of Tim Allens face

Ed

Much prefer the desk top....green one is too much like taptalk or whatever it's called.

However, if the colour was toned down....similar to desktop, it might be a alternative modernization that works

alastairgott

It?s much better than the website on a phone. (But that?s my opinion)

Main thing, it?s different! Oh god! Things that are different.

One thing I have noticed on the ?mobile version? when your on some (or all) of the boards you can scroll all the way to the right and it doesn?t stop you.

(I?d rather it keep you on the forum posts)

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Hi All, please bear with us. It's just a trial, apologies we should have let you know.
Sadly if we don't have the forum 'mobile friendly' for the great god Google then we don't appear in searches. If UKC doesn't appear in searches then 16 years of collective caver knowledge is harder for cavers to find - though try looking for something posted on facebook 16 days after it was posted... anyhow, I digress - please give us a day or two, thank you andhave a great weekend, Pegasus :)

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
It's great to get your feedback on the mobile theme.  Unfortunately we are forced to deploy a mobile friendly version of the forum otherwise Google ignores us in searches.  A third party system like Tapatalk just isn't recognised.  Since Googles warnings earlier this year we have noticed the forum appearing less and less on Google searches where as before it often came out top. 

We have launched Q at the problem and he has acted quicker than we thought trying out a live mobile friendly version straight away.  It appears that the choice is more limited and we cannot use the current theme UKcaving is known for.  Also many of the functions we take for granted on Ukcaving do not work on mobile themes, just getting the logo at the top and a news item on the front page is difficult.

We already dismissed the free versions as being too basic and are now trying versions that cost in the hope they are more sophisticated.  Q has managed to get this new version to do some of the things we want but not all.  Clearly the colour is a problem too.

Change of some sort is on the way and hopefully we can find a solution that everyone can get on 'board' with.  Do keep your thoughts coming.

Ian Ball

Always unpopular, I very much prefer this on my tablet. The desktop version is annoyingly difficult to navigate with clumsy thumbs, though I never tried tapatalk.

2xw

Pegasus said:
  try looking for something posted on facebook 16 days after it was posted

This is actually really easy - everything ever posted in the SUSS facebook group has been archived in a searchable database (even the absolute dross)

The search functions on both UKC and facebook leave something to be desired tho - could do with the wiki updating (given limitless time and money I guess)