Gloves

M

mudman

Huw's post in the Lost and Found forum made me think. What gloves do people use?
I generally use neoprene canoeists gloves. Keep the hands lovely and warm but a bit fragile. If I don't use them, then I'll generally not wear any. I have a real dislike of the big red "one size won't fit any" rubber gloves.

bubba

Administrator
mudman said:
I have a real dislike of the big red "one size won't fit any" rubber gloves.
Yeah, those are the ones I use, the ones you get from garden centres and the like.
I really like them after they've been left at the dig for a few weeks and you put your hand into that nice, cold gloop - mmmm!!!

M

mudman

Know what you mean. Have you noticed just how impossible it seems to be to get that gloop out of the fingers?

H

Huw Groucutt

I use the yellow fabricy ones in dry caves, they are nice until they get wet. They also seem to get holes very easily as well, on the fingers, which you don't notice until you accidently hit yourself with the crowbar!

For wetter caving I like long gloves as they protect my wrists, i see to have a long arms and often end up with little cuts, using some blue ones from france at the moment. They seem to have an annoying tendency of being very hard to dry out the insides though.

bubba

Administrator
mudman said:
Have you noticed just how impossible it seems to be to get that gloop out of the fingers?

All my workmates must think I'm a right scuddy get - my fingernails are often filthy and stained around the sides with lurvely muck.

Ah well, we must suffer for our sport.....

underground

I got an excellent pair of gloves from the army stores- been using them a year and they heven't been cut or anything yet, and they're tight fitting rubber too :shock:

They are from surplus NBC kit (Nuclear-Biological-Chemical) and only cost a couple of quid. Easy to clean and dry too......

Halfords car washing gloves are nearly as good, but not quite.

SamT

Got some nice ones from an Agricultrual place in bradwell (eyres)
they came highly recommended from the Titan diggers (so they must be good)

They're brown rubberised things, with a furry lineing - seem to be about a durable as those horrible red things but the cuffs are much snugger and slightly elasticated.

Other than that - for wet sports trips - Tescos 'tough' rubber gloves. Black - last 3 or 4 trips then bin em. Tight so no loss of dexterity, put em on before your oversuit so you have a nice seal round the wrist. :D

paul

Those blue ones you only seem to be able to get in Inglesport - they're my favourites. :grab:

F

Fiona

:D I use neoprene gloves for wet caves and sumps but they don`t last long they go in the finger tips very quickly .