Gwydir Forest Area - joined up Map?

Cantclimbtom

Coedwig Gwydyr / Gwydir Forest, lots of "stuff" there but my view of it is fragmented
Have I missed something, is there an overall map of mines and lodes (as best as we know in some cases) combined all on the same map

I'm having difficulty visualising where they are in relation to each other, since some lodes (e.g. Gorlan, Principal)  are exploited by multiple mines they will all be related to each other. The plans I have from the book series... well the ones I own, are separate

Is anything equivalent to this available for the combined Gwydir mines/lodes?

http://www.bdcc.co.uk/mendip3/mendip.htm?lat=51.257537&lon=-2.677059&lz=16&rz=15&lt=satellite&rt=Hide&lov=Caves&rov=None

Thanks!

Cantclimbtom

So... we need a digitised Sinker

Hmmm, just looking on the tops of the kitchen cupboard for that EEG electrode cap in his size, and what voltages were I supposed to use again?

ChrisJC

Just get all of the Mines of the Gwydyr Forest books.

But I have never seen a single plan of all of the mines / lodes.

It is complicated by the fact that the same lodes change names both along their length, and through time.

You have to get out 'in the field' and have a good poke about! Lots to see. And actually it's pretty compact. A couple of well planned walks will take you around the whole place.

Chris.

Cantclimbtom

Really struggling to get the time to head over there, but.. asked my boss yesterday if I can take December off (although my leave is unpaid, so don't get jealous) and he's thinking about it. Fingers crossed!

Maybe I'll get a days up there, I've got so many things I "must" do, and a wander around Parc would definitely be one of them

alastairgott

i'm confident there's a great throughtrip within a mile and a half of klondyke mill. not sure what the access is like, but our "leader" on the day said awright! to the farmer and went over for a chat, and the farmer who was stood on top of a lorry or trailer in his back garden didn't seem to worry too much.

Cantclimbtom

alastairgott said:
... throughtrip within a mile and a half of ...
That's on my to-do list, even more so than Parc (if that's possible).
I'm aware of arguments against doing it and the owner S.S. having expressed concerns to do with too much foot-traffic might increase the Cadmium in the drainage so I'm not advertising the name here either and would tread softly metaphorically and literally if I was ever naughty enough to do it.

ChrisJC

alastairgott said:
i'm confident there's a great throughtrip within a mile and a half of klondyke mill.

I am intrigued by that - I wouldn't mind a PM with more information as I believe I know that area pretty well but I can't think of anything that fits that description... Not that is a through trip anyway...

Chris.

Dave Tyson

No wishing to sound like an <AOL>me too</AOL> could you PM me  :bow:

I cannot think of anything of that length in the Gwydyr area. The longest I know would be Parc 2 through to Cwyfty Western, but then you would have to spirit yourself through the capping. The Cyffty adit collapsed (or was made to collapse) a long time ago and the farmer is unfriendly to mine-explorers :(

Of course if the mythical Hafna - Parc connection really existed then that would make a longer trip...

Dave

Cantclimbtom

Ahh, the dream of Parc to hafna

As far as I understand it, this is a mixup and the cryptic reference above is a well known previous "classic" through trip, not dramatically long or exotic, but not discussed or encouraged any more due to concerns about cadmium discharge into a lake and the entrance being somewhere that would get sealed up if discussed openly so let's not take the "P" in these discussions. I'm sure it's one you know of.

Anyhow, on the original topic, if the single map of all the mines/lodes existed we'd see possibilities for mega through trips? or more likely weep over ones that might have been possible 40 years ago that are lost now

Dave Tyson

Well if you wander around the area above Parc and Llanrwst there are all sorts of shafts hidden or otherwise. Most have substantial RSJ caps, which may be just as well as some are very deep. Looking from the top you tend to just see murk and mist. I had pondered lowering a video camera and light to get an idea of what's on offer. Not sure that NRW would be very keen to let CAL add a few access hatches without a bat survey and a risk assessment signed in blood... I guess I should have a wander around and document all the shafts, but the vegetation is a pain and I am currently occupied looking at shafts in Minera (where vegetation is still a pain) but the depths are reasonable. Maybe the Gwydyr next year  ;)

Dave

LJR

Dave Tyson said:
The Cyffty adit collapsed (or was made to collapse) a long time ago and the farmer is unfriendly to mine-explorers :(

Dave

The adit was properly capped off during the works at Parc when the surge dam was added (early 90's). The adit was dug out and a very large concrete plug installed before backfilling. The adit was not in a very good state and had a stream flowing into it which had taken in loads of silt. The farmer had been dumping farm crap into the adit and it's cutting for years too.

Les