Water proofing cameras

D

darkplaces

Anyone use any system for waterproofing (or atleast splashsproofing) compact and SLR cameras. Hard cases or flexy cases..

I wanna take pictures in swildons in the wet :D

bubba

Administrator
Pelicases are expensive, but they are very durable and waterproof. And they float which is nice too.

D

darkplaces

oo no i ment cases were you can take a picture while getting wet.

bubba

Administrator
It depends on which camera you've got - most manufacturers make waterproof cases for diving but they're generally super-expensive.

D

darkplaces

Might just stick it in an AquaPack. I wondered what the quility was like taking a picture though the clear plastic.

Brains

Generally you get a soft focus effect, and the plastic will not last long at all - put all the gubbins in an ammo can or peli case with padding and a good towel on top. At the photo site remove the gear and snap away before repacking and replacing any damaged bags, which if they are wet should be scrapped (and taken out separately of course) and replaced with new before repacking. Results will be mediocre unless you invest in a waterproof camera (eg Nikonos), and active water will look very solid unless you can get flash bulbs for a longer burn and a smoother, silkier effect. Good luck!

SamT

Hi

Check this out

http://www.digital-cameras.com/accessories/digital-cameras/cases/waterproof.htm

they vary in price depending on how deep (underwater) you want to take em.

Since your not going diving - then -3 meters is more than adequate.

Be aware though that underground photography usually requires that you disable the flash on the camera and use slave flashes that are not located near the lens - i.e. at least an Arms length away. This is to prevent the "fogging" effect of the flash being reflected back into the lens from all the tiny water drops (steam) acting like cats eyes.

Read some of the other topics in this thread to get some ideas.

A

andymorgan

I carry mine in a polythene bag, and use a cheap camera so if i damage it, it is not a huge loss....

Cave_Troll

for those of you with a 20D try this :)
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/IK687120.html

or for a 350D
http://www.fantasea.com/product_details.asp?id=174

D

Dave H

I use the cheap disposible flash cameras and keep them in a plastic bag whilst not in use. They are usually so damp by the end that all the paper on the case has rubbed off, but they still seem to work OK. The only time I have ever had problems with one was after using it in the Darren entrance crawl - the lens had steamed up on the inside while stuffed into my oversuit on the walk to the White Company - all the photos of that were pretty bad :cry: - but once in the entrance again the lens cleared and I got a decent photo of the entrance pool (looking outwards) whilst in it! (I didn't known the lens was steamed up until I received the prints)