Help!!

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone have a photograph suitable for a caption competition please??

The prizes are two Petzle Pixa 3's (thank you to Bernie's online shop  (y)) so I'd prefer is the photo didn't have another type of light clearly shown.

Please PM me if you can help, thanks, Pegasus  ;)

cap n chris

Precursor Petzl light to the Pixa (Tikka) in this pic you're welcome to use if you think it's worthy....

6357629535_7f90bb4348.jpg

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, Chris - it's just the sort of thing I'm after  (y)

Thanks also to the folks who have PM's me with photos already - please keep 'photos suitable for a caption competition' coming as I have lots of prizes in the pipeline and caption competitions are popular.

I still wonder, considering up to 1000 cavers a day visit UKC why relatively few enter the competitions (To those who do support my competitions - (y) (y))  - if you want to help support the forum, please, give them a shot, thanks, Pegasus

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks to all who have helped so far - however, any more??  Thank you, Pegasus

mudman

Pegasus said:
Thanks, Chris - it's just the sort of thing I'm after  (y)

Thanks also to the folks who have PM's me with photos already - please keep 'photos suitable for a caption competition' coming as I have lots of prizes in the pipeline and caption competitions are popular.

I still wonder, considering up to 1000 cavers a day visit UKC why relatively few enter the competitions (To those who do support my competitions - (y) (y))  - if you want to help support the forum, please, give them a shot, thanks, Pegasus

Hi Pegasus,

I love the competitions but one thing I might suggest is if a competition needs people to display a bit of knowledge, ingenuity or wit, then I would say to make less use of Random.org. I for one never win anything based on luck (except for the time I won a bottle of whisky in a pub raffle but I was in the bog when my number was called  :confused:).
However, now I've typed that, I wonder if the fact that everyone has an equal chance of winning actually encourages people to enter. Catch 22 perhaps?

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Mudman,

Thank you for your comments.

It is a bit of a catch 22.

When we ran 'best trip report', I'm sure folks read one or two particularly good ones and thought 'I'll never beat that' so didn't enter  :(

If there's one thing cavers can do to support the forum (other than posting) it's entering the competitions - they take a fair amount of work to organise so I personally am very grateful to everyone who takes the time and trouble to join in, thank you  (y)

I will take your comments into account and try to think of a competition that doesn't use random.org but relies on knowledge, ingenuity or wit - trouble often then though is actually choosing a winner!  Take the current caption competition - already some very good captions, had me smiling  ;)

Cheers, Jane

JasonC

Maybe you could apply your judgement to get the top 10 best, then let random.org pick a winner ?
That way, you could win with a less-than-epic trip report (say), but it would filter out entries where people hadn't made any sort of effort.

JoshW

or maybe in the case of this months, 1 pixa 3 for best caption, and another picked by random? seems a fair balance between getting people joining in and getting people to use their head

badger

but who picks the best caption? think it needs to be maybe bernies online as they have donated the prize, but then if your very clever at these things you could end winning them all. as jane has said it then puts others of entering. catch 22

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
JasonC said:
Maybe you could apply your judgement to get the top 10 best, then let random.org pick a winner ?
That way, you could win with a less-than-epic trip report (say), but it would filter out entries where people hadn't made any sort of effort.

Yes, I've done this before - chosen a (long) short list then chosen from random from there...

The next prize in May is going to be for best trip report and I will do as above, choose a short list of best reports and choose from there  :)

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
JoshW said:
or maybe in the case of this months, 1 pixa 3 for best caption, and another picked by random? seems a fair balance between getting people joining in and getting people to use their head

That's a great idea too - too late for this competition, however will certainly use in the future  (y)

PeteHall

JasonC said:

This seems to me to be the best solution.

Take for example the caption competition, I could enter 100 crappy captions with no thought and stand a 100 x better chance than someone who came up with a single, well thought out and highly witty caption.

It would also think it fair if the shortlist only included a maximum of one entry per Person.

Or you could get a "like" button and the one with the most "likes" wins, though this would always favour the earlier posts... :-\

JoshW

@PeteHall re the like button: you'd just set up a set time for voting (liking), so any likes prior to this date don't count.

PeteHall

But we don't even have the like button yet :(

As a different idea, how about choosing the best 10, then setting up a poll so people can vote the best one, Easy, fair and even gives some extra fun  (y)

mudman

PeteHall said:
But we don't even have the like button yet :(

As a different idea, how about choosing the best 10, then setting up a poll so people can vote the best one, Easy, fair and even gives some extra fun  (y)

I was just going to say that.
Or if we can have a like button, then select all that have more than a set number of likes and put them into a poll but allow some wildcards that you particularly liked or thought were clever enough.