Lamp/ helmet

Persephone

Hi, Ive probably only a budget of ?150 tops, but I need to get a descent lamp and helmet sorted so not to keep borrowing off others or hiring.Does anyone havre any suggestions, please ;)

NigR

Not saying this just to disagree with Graham ;) but I would strongly suggest you consider going slightly overbudget (or shop around in the hope of getting it for less) and buy an Ecrin Roc instead. The Spelios is lighter but the Ecrin will protect your skull much better should the need ever arise in earnest e.g. a fall of any reasonable distance or boulders hitting you from above.

graham

My link was purely based on budget. Personally I wouldn't drop large rocks on NigR's head, but others might.  :coffee:

tim.rose2

simon.moorhouse

Speak to Inglesport, in Ingleton Yorkshire.  We got a couple of ex-hire Ecrin Roc helmets with Duos on for £60 each.  They sell em off around 18months old - and I've had ours for a good 4-5yrs lots of use no problems :)

Few quid extra to Dave at Bisun will upgrade you to a proper good, proper waterproof, proper rugged lamp :)

I wouldn't use ex-hire for climbing helmet - but caving you are mainly expecting repetitive knocks rather than massive impact - else we would have to wear shoulder and back armour too!!

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cap n chris

Despite being a fantastic helmet, the Petzl Ecrin Roc is now discontinued - IF you can find one for sale buy it! - some retailers with a handful remaining are charging top dollar for them while stocks last.

If you're after a cheap helmet, have a look around at second hand ones.

[vested interest] check out this link [/vested interest]

http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=13166.msg169717#msg169717

Then you can spend ?100+ on your lamp, which should get you a pretty decent bit of kit.

Penguin

The Troglite helmet isn't entirely suitable for caving, it's just a site helmet with a chinstrap retainer and won't provide much protection in a fall - BS EN 397 is for protection against falling objects, and the chinstrap will be designed to break under a minimal load so that it doesn't hang the wearer up.  Look for something with UIAA certification or that meets BS EN 12492. 

Speaking though as someone who from time to time wears a cut down site helmet for caving!  :-[