winter tyres

Joel Corrigan

Any cavers out there in the auto-industry who might be able to source a set of winter tyres cheaper than I could?  Need them for expeditions.  After a set of 195/70R15 (with a set of wheels as well to make life easier but will trawl yards for those).

Cheers.

Pete K

Went to local tyre place yesterday and it seems that there is a bit of a shortage of winter tyres as everyone is now panicing about the weather!

Joel Corrigan

Typical. I need them for Austria where they have real winters, and not just a dollop of chilled rain once a decade.....  I'll have to do a trawl on German ebay by the look of it.

Jopo

Tyre chains are better than snow tyres, and can be cheaper. Most modern styles are quick fit and remove. Are snow chains compulsory in Austria?

Check these out.

http://www.flextrax.com/

Interesting drive up to Penwyllt today. About 4" on the hill and deep drifts on the track across. Blowing a blizzard. X Trail doing well (unchained) until I came up against a family with kids and dogs (you have to wonder) in the middle of the road on the steep narrow bit! Not bad for a 'soft roader'.

Must admit it was a bit touch and go - should I squash the yappy fox terriers or the dappy parents and save MR a job?.

Toby looked really disappointed to be snowed in Maes y Crug.

Still snowing. Be fun at the club if it freezes tonight.

All very pretty and I forgot the camera.
Jopo

H

hoehlenforscher

In day to day driving in the Alps you are far better off with winter tyres than chains. I lived there and have used both and believe me trying to keep up with traffic on untreated roads on a set of chains is a nightmare. True, a set of chains will get you out of trouble and its useful to keep some in the car but in 5 years in the south of Germany mine was the only car I EVER saw on chains and I never needed them again when I finally bit the bullet and bought some proper winter tyres. My brother bought some winter tyres back before christmas on my advice and he has not regretted it for a second. The compound on winter tyres works far better than normal tyres at temperatures below 7 degrees C and they are actually far better in the wet than most summer tyres too. BTW there is a huge difference between proper winter tyres as used on the continent and the old style M+S (mud and snow) tyres we tent to think about in this country. 

footleg

Anyone fitting Winter tyres should also be aware that apparently(*) they can be dangerous in warm weather because the different rubber compound they are made from can become too soft in the hot Summer weather. There was an accident on the roads around Cambridge last Summer which was apparently caused by a blow out of a Winter tyre. So don't forget to change back to normal tyres after the Winter.

(* I am no expert on these matters. Just what I think I remember I heard on the news last year. I'm sure someone on here will correct me if I am wrong  ;) )

khakipuce

A friend of mine got some and they worked fine in the recent snow. The only thing is that to fit them you need to put them on most of the wheel, roll forward half a turn and then fit the last bit. My chains go on without haing to turn the wheel (but then they need tightening after a short distance). Also chains can be cheaper and less bulky in the boot.

pete_the_caver

snow chains are cheap in french supermarkets and as far as I'm aware compulsory to carry in the french alps during winter. However, I think Mark is right in saying that winter tyres would be better and I agree with your idea of getting a set of rims for them.  If you have a contact doing a booz run to France then it might be possible to have a set brought back.

saying that french dismantlers must get loads of cars in at this time of year with just the tyres your looking for.  Why bye something new you will seldom use?