Hilti Capping from a distance...

D.Snaith

Over the past few days i have been thinking of ways that you could capp from a distance as my current dig is very unstable and prone to collapse. Firing the hilti caps from a distance would be much safer however is proving to be a bit difficult. The video linked below shows my first attempt at a device to fire them from a distance, i have had one idea that may work but im open to anybody else's...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1eguzbO-jw&feature=youtu.be

Kenilworth

I don't know what is or isn't legal in the UK, (or here in the US for that matter, never cared) but I have a very effective means of remote detonation of my homemade bang. PM if you want details.

tamarmole

Dan - I take it your firing pin passes through rubber matting (it was difficult to tell looking at the footage from Browns); this is pretty important - Rick.

Kenilworth

A US caver invented this device for remote detonation of caps:
http://www.micro-blaster.com/index.htm

This is legal, but expensive: $660 to $1700 USD.

Incidentally, the same fellow builds and sells high quality micro-racks as well.

D.Snaith

Yes, if you look at the full browns video, you can see the matting in it, however i capped a bit of rock recently that turned out to be full of quartz, loads of shards came straight through the matting and hit my hands, luckily i wear thick gauntlets whilst doing it and came out un-harmed...

Pitlamp

Has anyone yet cracked the problem of setting off caps remotely underwater, just out of interest? (By this I mean in a diving situation.)

Alex

Snappers? They can be detonated remotely and don't need a licence as they are technically fireworks. I don't know where you get them from though. (You also need a big and long drill bit, to make a 12mm or 10mm hole (depending on the snapper)).

The Old Ruminator

Snappers weight for weight are not as effective as caps. However if you find a way of blocking the hole they become more efficient. A bit of mud and another rock will help. Snappers are essentially gun powder and you may need a shotgun licence or similiar involved in filling cartridges. They are electrically fired so will fire remotely.

Pitlamp

Just a quick response - thanks for your thoughts; I'll follow them up as soon as I get a moment.