Petzl stop bobbins

J

JohnK

I'm the tackle master for Reading Uni and I have some stops with rather worn upper bobbins, and some new upper bobbins, which is rather handy. In the stop instruction book thing it says you should use glue on the nuts and bolts when replacing the bobbins.

Has anyone done this before? Do I need special glue, or is superglue ok?

Any advice would be welcome
Thanks

M

Mine Explorer

JohnK said:
...Do I need special glue, or is superglue ok?

I wouldn't use 'superglue' if you intend to make similar repairs again in the future. A better approach would be to use one of the threadlocking Loctite products (or similar from other manufacturer). These will hold the nut in place, but still allow disassembly at a later date.

Loctite Threadlock 242 - "Industry Classic"
Loctite Threadlock 222 - Low strength version of 242
Loctite Nutlock 243 - For oil contaminated surfaces

Best bet would be to try local suppliers of bearings, engineering suppliers, etc. failing that suppliers of car parts would be worth a try.

Mine X.

J

JohnK

Good point about the superglue, hadn't really though about having to undo them again. I'll have to get some threadlock 242.

Thanks for the advice; I'll probably be back for more at some point

T

Titch98

Another pointer to remember as well, is that water slowly disolves and breaks down superglue (this has been found out by personal experience, which is a tale for another time....). I personally use automotive industry Loctite Threadlock (product 204), which does not suffer from this drawback, as well as being resistant to many other chemicals (see data sheet on compound at http://www.loctite.co.uk/int_henkel/loctite_uk/index.cfm?&pageid=480&layout=2) and vibration - a far better option.